Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Future dinners







We finally got our broilers in today.  It was a weeks in the making project.  It is not the optimal time for raising them, as they usually do better before it gets too hot.  Unfortunately, when we ordered them several weeks ago, they were back ordered and today was the earliest batch we could get.  The yellow ones will be future dinners at our house.  The black ones are grandma’s laying pullets for this year.  The pullets have feathery feet and are so stinking cute!  Our’s are Cornish cross, grandma’s are light Brahmas. 

Little miss sassy pants liked them too. Kept yelling “duck” at them!   
The pandemic has done a lot of weirdness to life.  When I think of pandemics causing shortages of things I guess I would have thought medications. But no.  Instead we now have to wait weeks to order meat birds, we have to ask for medicated chicken feed because the tractor supply has a new vast array of “organic” chicken food!  My washer blew up this week.  Getting the machine I want is going to take a while too, as it is “backordered”.  Yes really.  I guess people bought chickens and appliances with their stimulus checks.  Side note - organic chicken food?  What the heck?  Chickens eat literally everything.  Mice, snakes, bugs, grass, cow poop -if they can fit it in their beaks, they will eat it.  Organic food for them seems like a tremendous joke.  I was channeling my grandpa perhaps as I laughed and thought “city folks!”  
2020 has been an interesting year.  We have had a pandemic, depression era unemployment rates and economy, and now rioting in the streets for basic human and civil rights which I feel really shouldn’t even be a thing we are still taking about.  It seems to me that the world has gone a little crazy.  I once again am thankful for the life that we are living.  Even when it’s scary.  Even when it’s hard. Even when life is absolutely chaotic, I count myself among the blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment