Monday, June 22, 2020

Learners






I often mention that I feel extremely blessed to live where we do.  Our little town is filled with amazing people and we are so lucky to have them in our lives.   One big example of this - the vineyard owners up the road.  They first hired Colin and Cameron to help them with setting up and tearing down for a wedding.   At that time, Colin had 4 part time jobs, but Cameron didn’t.  They hired Cameron to help them with their grape harvest, and a long-standing friendship was born.  They love Cameron!   Cameron loves them too.  When Cameron was getting close to graduating, they hired Preston as a replacement.  They are master gardeners, vineyard owners, native grassland lovers, food preservation experts, wine and grape juice makers,  and Bill is an engineer.  To say my kids are surrounded by knowledge would be an understatement.   About a year ago, they hired Quincy as well.  Since that time she has become Marnie’s wing-woman.  She has helped make wine, canned so many foods I can’t even keep up, learned about all sorts of vegetable growing and harvesting, and learned several methods besides canning for food preservation.  It is impressive what she has picked up in a year!  

Today, Bill helped Preston work on his van.  It was a long tedious process, and they didn’t quite get finished.  We sincerely appreciate Bill teaching Preston how to fix mechanical stuff.  I will never be able to repay these people for how they care for, and teach our kids.   It is truly a blessing. 


Bill posted this picture of the garlic crop for this year!   

I know I already posted this picture, but we have been talking a lot about uses for wheat lately.  I love the ripe wheat....so beautiful.  I noticed some cutting test strips today, so I’m guessing not much longer and the wheat will be gone for the year. 

We also have a new love of going to the farmer’s market in town.  Last week I bought some new potatoes.  As I was cleaning up dinner Quincy asked me what the creamy balls were - and if I could make them again. It was creamed new potatoes!   I bought more tonight.  They were so good!  We also got some spring greens, carrots and baby squash.  Our gardens are looking great, but we are a little ways from having any fruit or veggies out of it still!   

No comments:

Post a Comment