Saturday, December 19, 2020

Bring on break!!!















 
We finally had our last day of school yesterday.  I was beginning to think it wouldn’t happen.  I was blessed to get to drive Quincy’s wrestling team to Council Grove last night.  I say blessed because my new bus boss is one of the coaches. He could have easily driven the team himself, but chose to let me drive instead. I appreciate this more than he will ever know.  If I don’t drive, I would never make it there in time to see all the matches.  I will say that I was worried when the old bus guy retired, but I legitimately like my new boss (bosses).  Things are going well there and I am thankful.  


Quincy had 3 matches last night.  She should have been able to beat the first girl, but inexperience got her in trouble that she didn’t know how to get out of.  She knows now.   The second match was against a girl that I am guessing not many people could beat.  She pinned Quincy in a hurry!  

Quincy went out and pinned her final opponent. I hadn’t forgotten how much I love watching wrestling.  I hadn’t forgotten how much I love the wrestling coach.  My kids have been involved in a whole lot of stuff over the years, but you will never, ever find a better coach than Mr. Erickson. He is constantly teaching, is kind, is extremely knowledgeable about his sport, and is one of the classiest people I know.  It is an amazing privilege to be coached by this man.  


There is so much I love about wrestling.  It is an individual sport.  I know that Quincy will get her time on the mat if I go (unlike basketball where sometimes some kids don’t get to play). It is an emotional sport, you literally put everything you have into it.  It is also a team sport.  And the teammates build friendships that last a lifetime.  I am glad Quincy made this choice and I was overwhelmed with happiness to see her hanging out with her teammates, laughing, talking and even crying together. ( The crying came when one girl accidentally hurt her opponent.  Nobody wants to see anyone get injured.)  

We have heard from our travelers.  They almost made it to their destination.  Evelyn was begging to listen to “Funky Town” which is a direct result of hanging out with Poppy in the mornings.  It cracks me up!  The dogs have settled in just fine, although Maxine only wants me to sit and hold her, so getting stuff done hasn’t happened yet today!   At least that is the excuse I am using at this moment.  I am feeling like the break is off to a great start.  Sleeping in a little, snuggling dogs, having a lazy morning.  What’s not to like?  Breaks are the best!  

No comments:

Post a Comment