Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Because why not











This year has been a bit of a mess.  I know I’m not alone in that I am feeling out of sorts. The kids have been doing ok with remote school.  We are waiting to see if they get to go back next week or not.  I have been driving a 72 passenger  bus with one kid on it.  I don’t mind, but I miss the rest!  I was supposed to have a small hernia surgery over Christmas break, but I cancelled it.  I know it needs to happen, but the hospitals are crammed with covid patients and it seemed like it could just wait.  This week we learned that the KSHAA decided that there can be no spectators at any school activities.  Which translates to we can’t go to Preston’s basketball games, Preston’s pep band performances, or Quincy’s wrestling tournaments.  None of them. I have volunteered to drive the bus to all of the away stuff, hoping the bus driver can come In to sit, but I’m not even sure if that will be allowed.  It makes me sad to miss their stuff.  I understand it, but it’s just sad.  All this stuff is weighing on my mind.   I decided that we needed to cheer our house up by decorating early for Christmas.  Early and big.  So yesterday, we did just that.  We set up 3 trees.  We put lights all over.  We strung garlands and decorated everything.  The kids were thrilled.  We have to get a few more lights and decorate a little more on our living room tree, but it looks so cheerful in here.  I’m glad we did it.   The bonus was  it was a Tuesday, the day we have Evie all day long, so she got to help as well!  

My little office assistant brightens up my mornings at work!  She got these glow sticks from Poppy.  She sticks them in the peg boards and sings happy birthday to herself.  She then blows them out!  She is such a creative kid!  
She also discovered the hiding place in my desk!  She spent an hour hiding in there and peeking out at me.  Easily entertained children are the best!  

Quincy sold some wreaths and they were delivered today.  We had to pick them up in Ottawa.  The girls have been begging to go over to Garnett to Yoder’s.   Since we were only a few miles away, I caved.  This is a little store in an area of the state where people still ride horse and buggies around.  This store has all sorts of cool stuff like freshly milled flour, corn meal and oatmeal. They sell all sorts of seeds, seasonings, fresh frozen fruit, pie, and other delightful stuff that isn’t carried at Dillon’s.  They also carry a vast array of expired snacks that they sell for cheap.  How bad are sunflower seeds that expired last month?  Answer- not bad at all!  I do love good deals!  Today I was excited to buy fresh frozen peaches and raspberries, and freshly milled corn meal.  Am I a loser?  Probably. But today I am happy.  

Life will be ok again eventually.  God willing, we will survive it.  Until the return of normalcy, I will keep saying yes to small bits of happiness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment