Monday, January 30, 2023

Watched the weekend disappear









On Saturday, I drove a bus of junior high boys to their basketball tournament.  I don't mind driving, and I don't mind watching other people's kids play sports, and I definitely like the extra money on my paycheck, but cutting hours out of the weekend sure makes the time short!  Luckily, the tournament was a small one, and I didn't lose the whole Saturday!  I was even home in time to watch the KSU game with Jim and got most of the laundry done!  :)  

Since I was gone, our weekly cleaning routine didn't get done on Saturday.  On the way home from church, I did my best talking into the plan of each kid takes a room, we all clean for 45 minutes, and then we are mostly in good shape.  The kids agreed, and they did get to work and got it mostly looking like a house again.  I was cleaning the bathrooms, and left my phone in the kitchen.  Even though they were being helpful, I can't help but notice they were also stealing my phone to take selfies, and eating all the snacks!  :)    I am letting it slide since they didn't argue about helping.  

Jim and I had to run to Topeka to make a final selection on the bathroom flooring.  We had a water issue, which caused some damage to the floor.  We hired a local man to re-do our bathroom, and have been on his waiting list for quite some time.  We have reason to believe he is coming soon, so we had to finalize the new flooring.  I am sure it will be amazing, but I absolutely hate deciding big things for the house.  What I like today, may not be what I like tomorrow.  What colors are in style now, won't be in style forever, and I know with an expensive project, I am going to have to like it for a very, very long time.  I like paint better, because I know if I hate it, I can probably afford to change it relatively soon.  Flooring?  Heck no!  I can't (or maybe I should say won't) even try to lay it myself, and it is expensive, so I better pick right!  I was actually fairly impressed.  I showed Jim what I was thinking about, he agreed and we were not there very long at all!  I had shown him a few things I found online, and he was genuinely unimpressed, so I had a basic idea of what not to pick!  
Little side story here - growing up, we lived in an old farmhouse.  My mom was always trying to make it better, but it was an old house that legitimately needed torn down.  My grandparents got some new bathroom linoleum and had extra.  My grandpa was convinced there was enough left over that my mom could use it on our bathroom floor.  He was right, there was enough.  My mom recruited me to help her lay it.  I was 10.  Do you know who should not help with flooring?  A 10 year old!  I had glue in my hair for a month.  The floor looked awful (worse than the one that was in there).  For some reason, we didn't take up the toilet, we just tried to cut around it, there were air bubbles trapped underneath and we didn't have the right tools or knowledge to get them out, and it turned out terrible.  My mom was not too excited by our results. Do you know who had to live with the awful results because my dad was planning to build a new house someday?   I am very glad my mom was not a DIY'er who took pictures of that mess!  Also glad that house is no longer standing so nobody can see our results!  And this is why I will always hire a professional for some jobs.  


I heard from the big boys this weekend.  It seemed to be a dog themed weekend.  Colin said it was cold, so he put his vest on Volt.  I honesty worry that dog is planning his revenge!  In every photo, the dog looks mad.  In every story, it seems to be Colin who is antagonizing him.  I need to plan a day trip down to see Colin and Spencer...it has been too long!  

Cameron and Lauren said that they had a ton of rain, and that Baton Rouge was experiencing flooding.  Bella refused to go out until Cameron shielded her with an umbrella so she could use the bathroom!  This for sure cracks me up....Cameron likes animals, but would probably never choose to own one.  This particular dog owns him instead!  

Evie spent the night with Mallory.  I was cracking up at her telling Mallory they had to have a "fancy dinner" for breakfast.  Jim's mom gave Mallory some dishes she no longer needed, or had room for.  I think it made Mallory happy to have an occasion to break them out!  Evie told me this morning that she used fancy dishes.  Of course, she also told me that she wanted it to be the weekend again.  Me too, girl, me too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment