Thursday, March 16, 2023

Spring? Break















Had a few photos sent my way from the travel crew.  They are having a fun time, and have had some good adventures. They are heading home sometime tomorrow.   Hard to believe how fast this week has gone by!  I can’t wait to hear all about it!   


Ok I know I have littered this blog full of goat stuff lately.  Honesty, it is all I have been doing for days now.  I hope we can get everything healthy soon because this isn’t working well so far.  Yesterday, we had a baby who bloated.  Sometimes, you can fix this with baby mylicon drops or baking soda.  We tried both.  If those fail, an enema will usually fix the problem, but that was not what I was hoping the outcome would have to be.   I tried for quite a while, and knew I had to intervene before he went down and it was too late.  Soooo Quincy and I managed to flush him out.  His relief was almost instant, and I felt bad for waiting so long.  This morning, he was up, not bloated, screaming for food.  I fed and watched for a while and then he was promptly returned to the barn.  
Mr. Mackey is another whole story. Still having difficulty.  I joined an emergency goat page.  It is filled with amazing amounts of weird problems, people who genuinely give their best advice, and some vets who are willing to diagnose as best they can from far away.   I presented my case for them.  I was given a lot of suggestions, and I had done all of them, with the exception of vitamin E. I had not done that because I could not find it.   Today, I had to go to Walmart.  While I was there, I happened to see vitamin E oil.  I grabbed a bottle of it and thought to myself “what can it hurt?”  So I came home, looked on my post, and then administered 2 cc’s by mouth of the oil.  Mr. Mackey has grown quite used to us giving him medications and swallowed it right down.  That is when I truly looked at the bottle and realized it said “for external use only” it is oil for your skin.    I flipped out a little thinking I had killed this goat, after all that work.  Sort of felt a bit idiotic and was googling my heart out, when I looked over and he was standing up!  He had gotten up all by himself!   It actually made me tear up a little.   Now I cannot promise it is actual progress, and I cannot say that it was the vitamin E oil, but it is something we had not seen him do since last week!!!!   Yeaaa Mr. Mackey!  


As I was leaving Walmart, Quincy texted to see if she could go out for dinner with friends after work.  It was snowing pretty good, but the streets were just wet, and my weather app said it would be ending soon.  I said yea.  I came home, unpacked stuff, had a small crisis over feeding a goat hand lotion, and cooked dinner.  The girls and I then ran down to give the babies their night bottles, and I realized it was really, really snowing.  Visibility was bad, and it was sticking to the ground.  I tried to call Quincy, but her phone was dead.  Preston came home from work and reported he had to drive really slowly because the roads were not too good.  Starting to panic a little bit, and continuing to call Quincy.  Luckily, she finally got to her car, where she put it on the charger and called me back.  I was extremely happy to have her walk through the front door.   I always tell people I love where I live.  And for the most part, I honesty do.  One thing I hate though, is Kansas weather sometimes.  It was literally 60 degrees when I got off work at noon today. Six hours later, snowing, blowing nasty junk flying.  Not much of a spring feeling in the air tonight.   

On that note, I guess I’ll go put an extra blanket on my bed and crawl in.  This week has kicked me in the pants for sure!  

No comments:

Post a Comment