Sunday, March 5, 2023

Primo weekend










This was exactly the weekend I needed.  Low key, not a lot of activity, got a few things accomplished but not in a hurried, rushing sort of way.  Had some time with some kids and with my boy.   
Jim and I were working around the house when he asked me if he could go fishing with Andrew. I had made arrangements to pick up a load of bottle goats, and as such, needed supplies from Tractor Supply.  I ran my way, he ran his.  We were both happy (Jim cramps my style at Tractor supply- I had my brain focused on sneaking home babies from chick days- luckily for my marriage, they had zero babies in the store).   Jim reported that he was out-fished by the grandkid! 
I also had girls night with a couple of my best girls.  It was amazing to have a little time to get caught up.  I enjoyed it immensely.  
I got home at a decent hour, and started cooking for a family at church who had a baby this week.  I completely trashed the kitchen…and knowing I wouldn’t be home some of Sunday I decided to clean it last night. I’m so glad I made that decision!   When I got done, I realized I meant to re-caulk the bath tub, as the caulking I put on last weekend seemed to be defective.   Next thing I knew, it was 1 in the morning.  I do not know the last time I stayed up that late!   But,  the food was made, and the bathtub has a new, hopefully better caulking job, and the kitchen was clean.    

Essentially, that is the story of how I ended up forgetting to set an alarm and not getting up in time for mass. I wasn’t upset, because I thought it would allow me a little more time to get the goats I was planning to buy.  I found a load of bottle goats in Moran.   I knew they would be small, a couple of them were born on the 2nd and one was born yesterday.   I told Jim I was concerned about them riding in the back of the truck and I thought we could put down some trash bags, towels and a few blankets and throw them in the trunk of the Nissan.   He agreed it was a good idea.  Unfortunately, the Nissan was hit in the rear a year or so ago at Sam’s club. The trunk latch was moved around by the accident.  It had worked until we were on vacation a couple weeks ago.  Today we could not get it to work at all. Adjustments were made, and Harper and Quincy took off with me.   Preston was tasked with delivering the food, and picking up Saige, who was at a friend’s house.  Jim was moving a pen over for the baby goats.  We made it to Moran, to a commercial goat farm. We drove in just in time to see a goat give birth to triplets!   
We had spoken for 5 goats, but between the time we reserved them, and when we drove in today, they had 2 more who were abandoned by their moms.   This is common with goats - they have twins or triplets and will reject one.  It is also common, if you aren’t paying attention, for them to die if you don’t intervene.  We bought a baby that was born yesterday, but passed on the one who was born this morning, although I would have loaded all of them up!  We got home with 6 bottle babies.  Four of them are not real good on the bottle yet, and one had only been fed on the bottle twice.   Needless to say, we have a lot of training to do with them! It might be a little bit of a mess until we get them all eating well, but in my mind, that gives me an excuse to hang out in the barn with the babies.  

Our neighbor’s dog has had a few snacks from our barns - a few chickens and rabbits have lost battles.  I didn’t want to spend money and have her get the baby goats.  Jim decided the pen I was planning to use wasn’t critter proof enough, and so he ran to tractor supply and picked up a kennel I had been wanting for a few months.  Mallory, Madison, Andrew and Evie showed up as we were getting things settled in.  It worked  perfect!   Jim had to run in to a work meeting. The girls got everyone a full belly, and the boys got the pen completed. We also bred a couple of does for early April baby bunnies!   Jim was back in time for Sunday dinner.  I am in baby heaven.  


We had dinner, and then Evie and Saige hosted a solid gold dance party.  A perfect end to a great day!  

Quincy and I just went out to make sure everyone was full before bed.  The goat that was born yesterday finally discovered his hunger!  I’m so relieved about that!  Fingers crossed that they all do well and will make great 4-H projects!   At least we won’t have to worry about taming them down!   
This will be a short week- we have Friday off and that will be the first day of spring break.  I’m beyond ready for a little time with the kids!  

No comments:

Post a Comment