Sunday, March 12, 2023

Old friend/new friends










Jim has an old friend from high school who needed to rehome her red ear sliders.  Jim saw them on Facebook, thought they looked fun, and we told her we would come and get them!  We are crazy like that.  I’ve never owned turtles before. Although, if you know me at all, you know it is something I have thought about before.  We even lost a couple of bids at some exotic auctions for tortoises.  In my opinion, this is much better than a tortoise, as the lifespan is more conducive to not having to find someone to care for them when we get too old!  Getting a tortoise literally is a 100 or more year commitment.  Red ear sliders definitely don’t live that long!  These are 10 years old with a 15-20 year expected lifespan.   
I was sort of laughing.  Jim’s friend was giving us pretty thorough instructions.  I walked out to the truck with her husband to load some stuff and  he told me “do whatever- you can’t kill them….I’ve tried!”    
Needless to say, we will be doing a little reading up today. Preston and Quincy were very helpful with getting their stuff set up.  The kids renamed them Big Dick Randy and Undertaker.  Yes…I already know.  


Update on my patient - he seems much better.   I was able to join a goat emergency page.  They gave me several suggestions of things to try.  Jim was very patient as I read every label of the medication/mineral section at Tractor Supply!  A few more dollars, another shot of a different antibiotic, and some mineral paste later and I do think the goat is improving, although he still cannot get up without help.  Small steps, he is now at least trying to!   

The others seem to be doing well.  One has a limp, I am giving him some extra vitamins for that.  The kids are doing great with getting in early morning and late night feedings.  I think it teaches them a lot of responsibility, and an appreciation for the money they will receive when we sell these guys.  And if nothing else, maybe a little birth control - goats are much easier than babies right?  

My boy.  When he told me we needed to be at his friend’s house to get the turtles in the evening, in Kansas City, he then smiled and said “we can make it a date - is there ANYPLACE in KC you would like me to take you to dinner?”   I already knew what he had in mind.  I told him he could pick, and then expected him to tell me we’re getting Philly’s.  He absolutely cannot go to KC and not hit the caboose.  He’s not exactly wrong, they do make a great sandwich.  If my boy is happy, I’m happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment