Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Random rambling













First off, a goat update.   Mr. Mackey got a new antibiotic - one that Jim found out about in  an article that matched his symptoms.   Our vet had it on hand, although he didn’t give much hope that it would work.  We started giving the shots over the weekend.  I am amazed at how much better things have gotten.  Is he perfect and back to normal? No. But he can get himself up, he can walk almost normally (although a tiny bit stiff legged), his joints aren’t as swollen and holy cow he is hungry -and screaming for food!   It helped so much that I put the ones who are limping on it as well.   The only downfall is it has a long wean off time before they can be sold, but we have enough time.  I went from thinking I was going to have to break all of our hearts and put him down, to being hopeful that he will make a good recovery.  Also, by a vote of the people, this goat will be wethered  and kept here as a companion to the pony.  Nobody is eating our baby - we are all way too invested now (including the spousal unit).  

For Sunday dinner, we had steaks that Andrew cooked on the grill.  Quincy had Monday night off work. She turned the leftovers into steak quesadillas.  They were amazing!   I was super impressed, and I am excited to see what she does in her culinary program!  

Mallory “showed up at dinner time” last night.  She came out to run her dogs - and as she was throwing a ball, it went into the pool.  That is where she discovered that it was not the owls, or the coyotes who got ahold of our barn cats.  Weirdly, all three drowned in the pool.  It was not a welcome discovery.   I feel terrible.  We have to pull the ladder for the winter because it is weighted down with water.  I should have put something in there so that they could  have gotten out.   Poor kitties.  

After dinner, these 2 said they were going to do yoga.  I should have known they wouldn’t do it the normal way.  They crack me up.  I’m happy they are besties. And yes, having a goat in the house as well as all sorts of rain has taken a huge toll on my carpet.  I will be shampooing this weekend, right after Mr. Mackey moves back into the barn.   

Madison and Andrew’s dog Dexter.  He’s one of our dog’s pups.  I love him. He’s such a good boy. 

Speaking of our dogs, when Mallory started to go home, Blitz jumped in the car too.  If you know Blitz, you know she lives to go!  Mallory texted “be right back” and took her for a little drive down the road.  All of this family’s dogs are spoiled!  

Evelyn and Preston made after school snacks today.  Chocolate chip bar cookies which were amazingly food!  Evie was impressed that Preston can cook!  
One more thing.  Jim is out of town for a couple days at a water conference of some sort.  The conference is in Wichita.  I had moderate jealousy over him getting to see Colin and Spencer.  It has been too long.   I’m happy he got to hang with them some though!   Jim works a lot of hours.  Some days we barely see him.  I am happy to hold down the fort while he is gone, but I miss having him around. He is the last one to leave in the mornings.  He makes sure the little dog is in and the big dogs are out, house is locked up etc.  He often reminds me to relax for a while, or to stop overthinking things and helps me figure out how to get everything done.  But most of all, at the end of the day, we whine to each other about who had to deal with the weirdest thing that day.  I miss my boy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment