Sunday, November 12, 2023

Weekend thoughts










This day had a long list of things to accomplish attatched to it.  I didn’t have to work, we had no commitments, and I know what the next week holds.  Productivity was crucial in my plans.   I got up early, fixed breakfast for the slumber party kids, made sure they packed up their stuff so they could get out the door on time for their volleyball games, showered and then took everyone home.  Quincy had agreed to helping Harper clean the church, so that got checked off the list.  
I came home, traded the laundry loads around, made some lunch and then sat down.  Mistake.  Then Jim wanted to have some help with updating our chewey order.  Then the KSU game came on.  Then….the next thing I knew it was 4:30, I had no idea what we were making for dinner, chores still needed to be done, and I had accomplished nothing.  And as bad as I should feel about it, I can’t make myself care.  I spent some time hanging out with Jim, enjoyed watching the game, took a couple of catnaps, made a great dinner, and the lists will be there tomorrow.   At this point, there’s nothing I could do about it anyway.  

I think I told you that when I went to do chores, the quail were gone.  I was upset.  We went out this morning and there they stood, waiting patiently for their breakfast!   Thank goodness when I thought they had all escaped, I didn’t remove the food and water pans!   These crazy things are apparently extremely good at hiding.  Tonight, I once again saw zero birds.  Saige was feeding chickens and came over to look.  She found them, nested down underneath a log.   They blended in perfectly!   Such good little hiders!  

I love when I get photos from my older kids.  Colin sent me their Christmas photo from Cabella’s which I absolutely love.  Madison sent me some pictures of the girls.  I missed them today!  

This is Marjory.  I don’t know if you’ll remember, but last summer, someone dumped her and her sister.  We have both cats, although the sister is an outdoor cat…. We found Marj first.  She had been starved and severely mistreated.  She was skittish, would really only let Saige touch her, and hid for weeks, slowly coming out, but always staying close to the stairs where she would flee if you made any sudden moves.  It has taken us weeks, months actually, but she is now fairly friendly. Or at least a bit friendlier. Nothing makes me madder than when people mistreat animals.  You got a cat you don’t want?  Fine.  You rehome it, or shoot it. I don’t care.  It would be kinder to the animal to put it down than to starve it, beat it and leave it living in horrible conditions.  My opinion only.  When we brought Marj home, she was starved, skittish, when you would go to touch her she would flinch, and she was scared to death.  It was so sad.  She now is still on the skinny side, but is healthier looking, she still hides if things get too loud, she comes to Jim for treats, and she loves Saige.  If it is quiet, and I am sitting still, she will occasionally come sit on my lap.  If I move suddenly, she will still run.  If I approach her, she will run in fear.  She’s making progress, but it has been slow.  I hope she knows nobody here will hurt her ever again.  And there is one thing about this family- we always pay the mortgage first and then groceries. Family motto - food first.  I was always taught if your animas hadn’t been fed, you shouldn’t be eating.  My kids are pretty good about making sure things have food.  My husband is pretty liberal with the snack handing- I have no doubt that eventually she will be a fat, happy house cat.  Her sister came to us a week or so after we got Marj.  They are the same size, can barely be told apart- except Clem has a white nose.  They were in the same condition, and have identical cries.  I am convinced they are litter mates who were adopted together abused, and then dumped.  Clem was found at a farm not far from town.  She loves being in the barn, and since she had been in the barn at the farm, we left her as an outdoor cat.  She is less skittish, and loves to climb. She’s forever on top of the feed shed, in the rafters of the barn, on top of the chicken pen, or in the top of the trees.  She’s happy, and I am always happy to have a few barn cats around. She is friendly, where the other barn cats are wild, can’t get near them.  Sometimes Clem is a bit of a pain, she likes rubbing on your legs when you’re trying to walk.  I’m happy to have both of them.  Good kitties.  
Sunday is going to be dedicated to cleaning the basement, making up beds for Cameron and Preston who will be home for a few days for Thanksgiving, and making the basement where people can eat down there if the weather is cold when we have Langsgiving. It is going to need to be a much more productive day than Saturday was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment