Monday, November 6, 2023

The day “off”









The kids had a day off of school today.  I do not profess to know why exactly, but I never look a gift horse in the mouth.  I had a list, a couple of worthy causes, inspections to finish, and a 4-H meeting to prepare for.  
I started out early with good intentions.  Unfortunately, Jim had a setback on his back/hip pain progress.  He needed help.  I was happy to help him, but I am sad that the progress he had made seems to have taken a back slide.  We got him from the bedroom to the recliner, got him some breakfast so he could take some Tylenol and made a quick decision that he would not be going to his dentist appointment, or to work at least for the morning.  That gave me a brilliant idea….Quincy broke a tooth last week, I would just call and then send her in Jim’s place.  Which created a new problem because she is house sitting next door. She didn’t have school, so she was planning to sleep in their basement where it’s nice and dark and wasn’t planning to get up.  Try getting her to answer her phone under those conditions.  I had to put on my shoes, drive next door and knock until I woke up their dog, knowing that Minnie would bark and wake her up.  Now, I do possess a key to their house, but that wouldn’t have been near as much fun would it?  Also, she was going to be mad.  I didn’t want to risk having a shoe thrown at my head!   She did get up, but by the time she got their chores done and came home, the dentist office had called to say that the dentist was out today, so they couldn’t fix her up.  Once  again, risking getting a shoe thrown at my head I broke the news to her that I woke her up on her day off for no reason!   Whoopsie.  (No shoes were thrown, but if looks could kill…..). 
I made sure Jim was settled in and went out to deal with the quail.   I am sorry if you are sick of quail pics, but I am completely obsessed!   I love how they already recognizing the lunch lady.  I love how they make little sweet noises.  I love how they hide and are sort of timid, but are sort of curious at the same time.   I was a little alarmed to see that something (likely a raccoon) had moved the rocks I had placed around the bottom of the poultry netting to keep it tight.  They cannot get through the chain link, but they absolutely moved every single rock.  Oh how I hate raccoons!   Of course, I bought some “livestock guardian” type dogs- but it is relatively hard to guard livestock when you are busy laying on the couch!

Today I finished up the last of the inspections I have to do.  Two of the lakes we visited today are my favorites.  So much beauty and peace.   We have 2 more days of federal inspections, but my maintenance guy will accompany them and I won’t go along.   My out of the office days of being outside in the nice fall weather are over for this year.  I’m ok with being finished.  Always nice to mark things off my lists!   I have a relatively new maintenance person. He has done a remarkable job.  He has busted his buns and it was very apparent.  He’s not quite as personable as my last person, but I sure can’t fault him on the job he has done for us this year. My life is made easier by having good people in place, that is for sure!  

The girls had a 4-H meeting this evening. I ran out to load stuff in the car and was pretty blown away by how beautiful the sky was.  Have I mentioned lately that I love where I live?  You know what I don’t like? The fact that it was 5 pm and well on the way to being dark!  
Jim isn’t better this evening, but he did go to work this afternoon.   I have a feeling that he needs another trip to the doctor or the chiropractor.   The rest of this week is bound to me hard for him with it being his crazy meeting week.  We will figure out something that works I hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment