Friday, November 24, 2023

A day off….











Ten years ago, when we bought the house, we purchased a sectional sofa for the living room.  I loved it, until the first time I wanted to move it.  It was heavy, hard to unhook, and hard to keep clean due to stuff falling between the sections and then having to unhook it to get them out.  The recliners almost immediately stopped working. The dog ripped a hole in one section, Jim accidentally hit it with a chainsaw (Yes- a chainsaw) and one of the seams was ripping out, there was some sort of bar that came loose and poked you in the buns when you sat down.   I realize having 10+ people living here, most of whom were children, as well as multiple cats, 3 dogs, a couple grandkids, a few grandpups, and most of the neighborhood children in and out, there probably is no reason for me to complain about it- what piece of furniture could withstand that type of abuse?  Needless to say, I was still disappointed in how it wore, how it looked and I hated sitting on it, because it was flat uncomfortable.  As I was cleaning last week, I threw out to Jim that I wanted to get rid of it and purchase something else.  I had found a couch and loveseat that I liked at Menard’s on a great sale.  He didn’t immediately jump for joy at my idea, but he didn’t say no either.  On his birthday, we ran to look in Topeka.  Menard’s furniture was all put in the loft to make room for Christmas decor.  Disappointed, I suggested we look next door at this furniture place I saw on the way in.  Jim told me that he thought they wouldn’t be affordable, but we could look.   They were having a Black Friday sale, and I found 2 sets that were not only affordable, but that I thought were also extremely comfy.  Unfortunately, he had a text from work, and  was very distracted.  We left empty handed.  I was disappointed, but it gave me some time to decide, and think about if it was a necessary purchase.  

Wednesday, I looked into the financing at the place we looked. I was approved, and part of their promotion for Black Friday was 60 months interest free.  I mentioned it to Jim at lunch, and he told me I could do whatever I wanted.  Since I was taking Harper to the orthodontist, I stopped by and had Harper sit on the 2 sets I liked.  Harper told me one set was “cringe,” but she approved of the gray set.  And so, on a whim, I agreed to buy it.  Jim had urged me to get the delivery service, but when I found out it was $200 I refused.  So today, I conned Preston and  Quincy into helping me.  We moved the old brown sectional, burned that baby, and ran to pick up the new stuff.  When I tell you that Preston, Quincy, Harper and Saige worked their buns off, I am not kidding.  

It took two trips to town, but I am so happy with the new set!   Jim picked out an end table and an awesome lamp to go with it, but it will not be here until next week.  I love this!   Now my goal is paying off this, and my car so we can do flooring.   I’m sure Jim will love my new plan!  

Cameron and Lauren made it back to Baton Rouge.  I’m happy they are safe.  Preston returns to Manhattan tomorrow.  I have loved having the kids round this week.  I am sad that it went by so fast.   Tonight, Preston is hosting a Friendsgiving for his high school buds.  Quincy cooked their turkey while Preston helped me run back and forth to town. I have missed some of these kiddos as well.  There are so many kids I have gotten attached to as they grew up, and then, as our kids leave, I don’t see the extra ones anymore.  I am always happy to see them.
I’m thankful that I had this day off to accomplish getting things done before the weather turns ugly tomorrow.  I always love a day when I get paid to do my own junk!   

No comments:

Post a Comment