Saturday, November 25, 2023

Snowy Saturday










Preston headed back to Manhattan today. He wanted to attend the farmAgeddon game (KSU vrs Iowa St), and was excited about attending a snow game.  I got up early and baked cinnamon rolls for his trip, and made sure he had some other food since the dorm cafeteria won’t open back up until Monday.  I was a little worried.  We were hearing the snow had already started out west, and the roads weren’t great.  Although  it was barley coming down here, I just don’t like sending my people off in questionable conditions.  (He did listen to me and texted when he got there to say he made it).
Side note - this kid busted his hump while he was here.  He started off by telling me he doesn’t have projects in Manhattan and had been sort of missing fixing stuff.  I told him I needed help winterizing the pool filter and pump.  He took care of it.  Jim was excited that he burned the huge pile at the end of the driveway (with help from Cameron), and he was amazingly helpful with picking up and removing furniture for me.  I knew when he was moving last August I would miss him around here.  I wasn’t wrong.  I miss his help with projects, and his way of hanging with the girls, as well as our political and historical conversations.   He’s a good kid.   
I sincerely enjoyed the last week.  The gatherings, the kids being home, visiting with family, the food, all of it.  My heart is happy.  


As Preston was leaving, I told the girls we should go do Harper’s sacristan duties before the roads got bad.   We took care of that.  The roads over were clear. The roads back were snow packed and a little slippery.  Happy to have that done, and wanting to hunker down with a good book and a bowl of soup, we went ahead and did the evening chores a little bit early.  Saige was bound and determined it “wasn’t cold” and she rolled around in the snow.  Before chores were over, she realized the error of her ways!   

We spent some time bedding everything down for the night, made sure everyone had a drink and some snacks, and noticed that Coco seems to really love trotting around in the snow!   He’s such a pretty boy.  

Heard a little from Cameron and Lauren.  Got to see Cameron’s new beany headlamp.  I’m impressed, and a little jealous.    


I have never really liked snow.  Or the cold.  But I have noticed none of my kids seem all that phased by it.   Colin and Spencer were hoping for snow, since they are on a skiing trip.  Colin said today they finally got to do some skiing. 
I am rapidly seeing my little Thanksgiving break slip away.  While I’m thankful for the time off, it always makes me sad how fast breaks have to go by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment