Monday, December 18, 2023

Countdown time




















I was laughing to Jim this weekend - I was sent 2 photos almost simultaneously.  The above is Colin.  He is very proud of his Grinch suit, and was making all sorts of offers to scare children with it, or to come to your holiday parties.  Apparently someone took him up on it!   Colin John - stop terrorizing children!  
I also got the below photos and was like aaaah Cameron and Lauren are so cute. Then I saw the candy cane photo and thought well…. they both like to terrorize the holidays.  


Preston is home for a couple weeks.  We were happy to see him!  Semester one is in the books!    He says it went well and he loves KSU!  He was also stirred up over the basketball fiasco, and is hoping our coach isn’t leaving us.  It made a nice conversation as he helped Jim put together my new bedroom end tables!  

We had a little cake at Sunday lunch for Harper.  She seemed more excited about the cake than the singing.  

Jim and Andrew went trout fishing at lake Shawnee.  The littlest fishing buddy wanted to go.  Then she out fished them!   I am always impressed at her stamina.  Those two boys go fishing for hours.  She loves hanging with them.  Of course, I looked at our online account this morning, there were definitely snacks provided on this fishing trip!  She’s no dumb kid!  

Harper had a lot of fun with her friend.  I had one of those Saturdays where I slept in, which rarely happens, then made the girls waffles with my new mini waffle maker and then the next thing I knew it was 2:00!    I hate that!   I ran her friend home, and then Jim and I ran to finish our shopping and get groceries.  Like always, I realized putting off Christmas shopping til the last minute means crowded stores, wild drivers, horrible traffic, and no real time to give up until later!   We got a lot done, but didn’t get finished!   Luckily, I have a couple days I have to run into town anyway this week.  I gave the bad news to Harper- hey when we go to the orthodontist this week….  Let’s just say Harper wasn’t exactly happy with her new elevated status of shopping buddy.  

Rather than a friend party this year, Andrew and Madison took Evie to Dave and Busters and Build a Bear.  She was thrilled!   She told me all about it.  She said it was a fun day for her daddy!  :)  

We are exactly 1 week from Christmas.  As I said, I have been reflecting.  The shopping isn't done, but it is started, which is improvement from years gone by.  The baking and candy making aren't done, but the groceries are purchased, which is an improvement.  The  gifts aren't wrapped, but I do have paper and know where the scissors are, which is such a big improvement.  I honesty remember a year where Jim and I finished shopping on the 23rd, wrapped what we needed for my family party on the 24th, came home after midnight mass, and wrapped stuff until around 3:00 am, and then Cameron was up at 5 to tell us it was Christmas morning.  I feel like I might miss those days someday, but I'm not there yet!  :)  I am thankful to Jim, who has always been willing to help me with the shopping, and although he struggles to keep a secret, his excitement is amusing.  I am also thankful to him for being my date last night to the liquor store Christmas party, and for being willing to go again tomorrow night for the township one.  Of course, he is getting dinner at both places, so it wasn't too hard to convince him!  He puts up with a lot of my crazy ideas, and tolerates my insanity well.  I have put him through a lot of Christmas construction projects, including once when the garage door fell off it's tracks in the freezing cold at 2 am, and he had to work some sort of weird magic on it to keep the pipes from freezing!  He is a good man.  And again, I find myself thinking how much I like the quiet parts of the season.  Days at home with the kids, watching a movie, or baking, or playing with their new games, sitting in the dark with the Christmas lights on.  I think online shopping has definitely improved my mood about things, but I sometimes wonder how as a society, we got to this place?   Anyway, I guess I can't change society as a whole, but I do have a heart that desires peace, and simplicity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment