Sunday, October 15, 2017

Middle aged? 

Yesterday was my birthday.   I was not impressed with the idea of being middle aged at all.  I discussed it with Blitz on the way home from taking Preston to work.  She was appalled.  She is not helpful and is no longer my confidant. 

Truth is, I spent the whole day thinking about it.    I don't know why, I am usually not one to be bothered by that sort of nonsense.  I was taught by wise people (thanks grandma Shirley) that we are here to do the best we can and not worry about things like age, because we cannot control the length of our life.  When it's your time, it is simply your time.  I know my views don't always jive with society.  I truly try.  But society wasn't raised by a bunch of Lang's.  It really did not make an enjoyable day despite it being the first Saturday in forever  I have not had a bus trip and I got to stay home (my favorite thing ever).   

I was still fretting in mass, I was so wrapped up in these thoughts I cannot even recall listening to the service at all.  After mass, the kids all went out together so that Jim could take me for dinner.   It was a sweet gesture.   I wasn't really feeling in the mood to go out and then I turned my car around.  There was the most beautiful rainbow.  God's promise.  Thanks for the reminder.  I will smack the Middle Ages on the butt just like I always have.  I will live my life to the fullest and love my family with reckless abandon because at the end of my life, I will have no regrets.  

Jim took me out for dinner at the Clinton store. The kids had a great time making fun of that one.  "You want a birthday dinner from a gas station?"   The Clinton store is not a gas station.  It is an old fashioned mom and pop store that sells tobacco, bait, marshmallows and for some odd reason, onions.  They have a tiny back room where they can literally seat 12 people and they serve awesome food.  Jim and I both really enjoyed our steak!  I even had a birthday beer, which I did not enjoy because I sometimes forget I hate beer.  :).  Bring on the Middle Ages.  I am ready!  

No comments:

Post a Comment