Monday, October 9, 2017

My own little farm tour 

Ok, so we aren't technically "farmers."   At least not by the standards my father would set for defining that term.  But we are making progress in our little dream of establishing a goat herd.  And now that we have them, I can't see raising anything else.   Oh, I know Jim still entertains the idea of raising a few cows and perhaps even some pigs, but if he was honest, he is just as smitten as the rest of us!  Who doesn't love a sweet, funny, rotten, hole in the fence finding goat?  It is an addiction.  

We are trying to sell the weathers that did not make weight at the fair.  They are growing nicely now that there is no pressure to make weight (of course).   

The broilers that we got to keep Marvin company are also getting big.  They have an upcoming appointment at Garnett.   I have been impressed with how this bunch grew.  I kind of wish I bought a few more.   

The turkeys are also getting close to being Thanksgiving dinner.  I do not profess to even begin to understand where we went wrong.  These are the only 2 left of the 12 we started with.   I am not sure if turkeys are something we will attempt again.  It was sort of heartbreaking to witness.  My friend told me the biggest problem was predators getting them.  That was not our biggest issue.  I don't even know what the issue was other than 10 dead for seemingly no reason turkeys.  Plus the fact that they bark and are friendly which makes Quincy want to keep them forever.  

For sure, I love that I get to live this life with my family.   We might not be "farmers" but it sure is fun to try!  

No comments:

Post a Comment