Monday, March 19, 2018

Ollie

We absolutely love our border collie.  She is smart, sweet, good with the kids, good with the farm animals and so easy to train.  I have never had a dog I loved as much as I love Blitz.  Back at Thanksgiving we made the decision to have her bred.  I couldn't find a border collie stud, but we tried to breed her to my brother's Australian Shepard.  She didn't settle.  I have since been looking for someone with a male who we could try with this spring.  My kids have cringed as I approached people at the coop, and even one man in Lawrence.  They tried to say it wasn't normal to go looking for a mate for your dog by approaching random strangers who happen to have border collies in their vehicles.  Luckily, I have more tricks up my sleeve than just talking to strangers.  This week, I found this chocolate border collie pup on a farm animal swap page.  For me, it was love at first sight.  I just couldn't get him out of my mind.  For Jim....well poor Jim.  It wasn't that he was opposed exactly, he just doesn't jump in with both feet like his wife does.  My Jim is a thinker.  And a rational reason seeker. This was a discussion we had over a couple of days.  In the end, my Jim is a sweet, old softie.  And this little dog took one look at him, started wagging his tail, and licked Jim right on the face!  Let's just say Jim is smitten.  

The little dog has already proven to me that he is smart.  He is pottying outside, has already endeared himself to Blitz, and is starting to come when we call.  The kids are calling him Ollie.  He is also excessively calm for a puppy. He slept the whole hour and a half home, got out of the car and went to the bathroom and then settled right in with a chew treat.  I can't wait to watch him grow and learn new things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment