Friday, December 13, 2019

Band concert










Quincy had a band concert on Wednesday night.  I have taught Religious Education on Wednesday evenings for countless numbers of years, and I must say I legitimately miss when Wednesday was sort of a protected, known church night.  Now, there are sports on every night except Wednesday, and Wednesday night is a dumping ground for every single other event the school hosts.  Every concert, every meeting, every thing that is not a basketball game or a wrestling meet is dumped on Wednesday.  (Can you tell this irritates me?).  Needless to say, I had a sub, and we went to the concert.  The band was great as usual.  On the way to the concert, Quincy told me that she wanted me to take our traditional photos of her and Landrie, but she also wanted a picture with her boyfriend, Nick.  I love this girl, and her ideas, but I will admit I got a kick out of her boyfriend wearing a very nice suit, and her in her jeans and boots!
Her basketball coach has a daughter Quincy's age.  Quincy grabbed Coach Washington and said "get your picture with me!"  Coach agreed but she obviously didn't think through the consequences of a photo with Quincy and Landrie!  Quincy has also expanded her horizons and has some new friends this year.  It is hard to make girl friends when you have a zero tolerance for drama policy on your life!  :)  I am proud of her for not getting caught up in the typical junior high festival of hormones and ridiculousness!

I might also add that Quincy hates band.  Absolutely hates it.  At the beginning of this year, I talked to the band director, and together with Quincy, we thought we might renew her interest by having her switch instruments.  She is now playing the bassoon.  Her director tells me that he is astounded at how fast she picked it up, and how well she plays.  She might be talented, but the desire to quit is still strong!  I have made the same deal with her that I made with all the kids - you play through junior high and then we can discuss it.  She is actually counting the days until she graduates 8th grade, and quits band!  

No comments:

Post a Comment