Friday, July 3, 2020

I hate pandemics










We are now 5 full months into a pandemic.  I’m on record with saying I hate it.   I hate the uncertainty.  I hate not feeling safe to go do fun activities with my kids.  I hate the way pubic health and safety has been made into a political issue.  I hate the unknown.  I hate lack of (my) control.  
Yesterday, the girls and I worked at the fireworks stand. When we got done, they really wanted to stay for the touch a truck, hot dog dinner and fireworks display that the fairboard was having.  They have always had fun at this event, and love the fire department spraying the kids down with the fire hoses. So we went. There were so many people.  People we have never seen before.  People who came from the surrounding towns to just get out at an event that hasn’t been cancelled.  I get it.  But it was also somewhat horrifying.   So many people.  So many people.   We got our hot dogs and they ran through the fire hoses. And the people just kept coming.   I told the girls nope, we are not staying.  And we didn’t.  They were sad about the fireworks.  I’m happy for the fairboard because their event was awesome, and they sold a lot of fireworks. But I just don’t feel comfortable in crowds.  
The governor of Kansas put out a state wide mandate to enforce people wearing masks in public.  The county we live in said no.  They have the right to overturn her mandate and they did.  So masks are not required in our county. Not only that, but they also moved us to phase 4 which is basically just no restrictions and no more worry about Covid.  Meanwhile, Jim spent his day off today figuring out how to handle the fact that there was a positive case at a pool party last week at our pool in town.   It’s here.  It’s not huge numbers but it’s here folks.  Anything we can do to mitigate the disaster should be done. But nope, because our commissioners are republican and the governor who ordered it is a democrat, they refuse to listen.  Not to mention the gross numbers of people in this county who honestly believe that this is a hoax.  Apparently thousands of dead people are also a hoax?   My blog - my opinion. We need to figure out a way to handle this that isn’t such a fiasco.  Ok I’m off the soap box now.  

I am thankful that the girls got to do something a little bit fun, even if it was short lived.   I’m thankful to live in a little town full of people who love their community.  I am thankful that I married a man who is level headed and likes to follow the science, and listens to the recommendations of those with more knowledge than he has.  He is truly good at his job, and at keeping me grounded. 


While we were gone to the fire truck thing, Jim took Preston to pick up a new project.   Colin has a friend named “Montana Mike” who was selling an old Honda for $100.  I don’t know if I need to go into details about what could possibly be wrong with a car someone sells for $100, but here we are.  A project for the rest of the summer.  A challenge to get the old girl up and running again.  And honestly, what will it hurt?  If he’s successful it’s a cheap ride.  If he’s not, well it can join Colin’s car collection that is on our yard.  

Grandma made the corn bags for the corn hole game.  The kids have had a ton of fun with this.  So far it cost $0 which is perfect!   I do love the family time that has been created by this whole mess!  

No comments:

Post a Comment