Thursday, August 6, 2020

turmoil


Family is my life.  It is what I get up for in the morning, what I live for.  What I absolutely love pouring my energy into.  Keeping them safe, healthy, and happy is important to me.  I worry a lot about them during normal times, but this pandemic has kept my nerves on edge.  I have mentioned more than once that I hate this.  Our school board decided this week to go back to school.  All of the kids, wearing masks and washing hands.  Ignoring the advice of the governor to start after Labor Day.  Basing their decision, I feel on KHSAA's decision that sports can start up and go on as normal.  Of course, football is life right?  To say I wasn't expecting it, would be a lie.  I was totally expecting it.  Mallory was on a task force this summer.  A group of teachers and administrators who spent their summer making plans to safely put kids back in schools.  They recommended hybrid school - which would mean each kid goes 2 days per week and did remote learning 3 days a week.  One day a week would be for deep cleaning the school.  It meant that half the kids at a time were going to be present in the buildings.  But nope.  That plan got spit on and thrown to the side like bad trash.  It was a good plan.  Or I should say, it was a better plan than just throw everyone back and see what happens.  So long as football season is on, we are fine.  All of us are fine.  So today is enrollment.  And I still don't know what to do.  Along with every other parent in America I am sure.  Jim and I discussed this late into the evening.  We have a semi-decent plan.  Am I completely comfortable?  No.  I will never be until this is all under control, but these kids need an education and so we will be plunging forward.  I have been on the phone this morning trying to figure more stuff out.  We are not enrolling today.  I am not saying we won't be in a few days, but I refuse to enroll my children in a place that hasn't finalized their response plans and can tell me how things are going to work.  Or at least what they think will work.  Am I wrong?  Nope.  I refuse to take the blame for this mess.  We will, without a doubt or any fear do what we think is right for our kids and our family.  Period.  We owe nobody an explanation.  We will have to live with our decision and I will work my butt off to make sure that I have answers to my questions and concerns before we unapologetically make decisions about this.  Still wishing tRump had not dismantled the pandemic response team.  





No comments:

Post a Comment