Thursday, October 29, 2020

School Halloween











Since there is no school tomorrow (no idea why), the school had their Halloween parties today.  Traditionally, the kids at Overbrook school parade downtown and trick or treat all the merchants.  Due to Covid, this was not allowed.  I was sad because I love this tradition, and this is our last kid’s last year.  The school asked the merchants to come up and set up a trunk or treat instead.  I have no idea why this is better.  It made no sense to me.  But at this point, I don’t even question things anymore.  Evelyn and I went up with Jim, who set up a station for the city.  I was a little worried (because it was pretty chilly today) that Evie would get too cold.  She sat like an angel in her lawn chair with her blanket and had a great time watching all the kids!   She also may have sampled a few of Poppy’s candy bars, but that is a different post!  

I love Halloween. I know you already know this.  Honestly though, what is more fun?  There is just nothing more fun than seeing all the kids dressed up in their costumes.  This kid though, he was my all time favorite.   I don’t know who he is.  I don’t know where he got the costume, but when he walks, it looks like the alien is carrying him away.  So, so funny!  

Saige and Lylah.  Saige was a pug (dog) and Lylah is her evil witch owner.  Not sure how they decided on this!  Saige had an absolute ball at school today.  They did science experiments.  They made slime.  They burned something.  They ate candy, had a parade and watched a movie.  What more fun  could one day hold?   She has a really fun (young) teacher this year.  She loves going to school  and she is good academically.  

Evie only got out of her chair when she saw auntie Mal!   I was very impressed with how good she was.  I love how mellow she is. When Madison got off work, she came outside to retrieve her and at that point she knows it is about time.  She happily went with her mom and took her nap!   
Harper’s class also had a small party, but they did not have their annual parade or anything else.   They were allowed to dress up, but they were pretty strict on saying no masks (aside from the ones they are supposed to be wearing).  Since Harper picked a costume that is not school appropriate, she decided to just wear her Halloween shirt.  Harper said it was an ok day but not as fun as they used to have.   
One other story - for about the last 15 years, Jim has bought the candy for the city to hand out.  I always go to help him keep his bucket filled and every single year I worry that he didn’t buy enough.  Every single time I panic a little.  Especially since he is an old softie and hands out a handful rather than 1 candy bar!   Today, when he got done, he literally had 5 candy bars left.  It always works out for him, but he makes me nervous cutting it that close!   I had visions of handing out the pen and paper mask stashes
 that I keep in the car!   

No comments:

Post a Comment