Saturday, October 10, 2020

Until we meet again


Today was not a good day.  At least not for us.  Jim’s dad - our grandpa Ken passed away this morning.  We knew he was having some issues this week


 but we were blindsided and shocked by his passing.   Our lives changed today. 
Jim’s dad was a man who always had a story.  He always seemed to have advice that he was happy to give on any subject that you wanted to talk about. I admit that I did not always welcome this advice, but I can, without any fabrication say that he never gave it without his honest care and concern.   Jim’s dad often made me laugh with his quick wit and his political opinions.  I don’t think that I have ever met anyone who read more, or enjoyed learning about things as much as he did.  He welcomed me into his family. I will be forever grateful for the values, gentleness,  kindness, love, and questioning nature that he installed into Jim.  
I came from a giant, loud, love  to “discuss” just about anything family.  Once, when we were first married, I had a small disagreement with Ken.  He listened to every single word I said, and then responded “I appreciate your opinion.”  I never did know what to do with that.   I learned a lot from him.  You can disagree with someone and still appreciate their opinion.  You can fight for the things you believe in, even when the world doesn’t have your back.  Traveling opens your mind.  If you feed one raccoon, they will tell all their friends!  And so much more.  
Today was a sad day, but it was also a day that we stopped whatever else we were doing and reflected on the life of a man who was a good father to my husband, a good father in law,  and a good grandfather to our kids.  Until we meet again, we will hold the memories in our hearts, and we will try to honor your wish that we keep our family piqued in curiosity and lifelong learning.   

No comments:

Post a Comment