Saturday, April 24, 2021

Garage sale weekend.














City wide garage sale day is a giant love/hate for me.  The 4-H always has a sale. This is how we do it - we ask for donations from the families in our club and we advertise that we will accept your “treasures” from the community.  People show up and dump off all their stuff.  We organize it.  We open up on sale day with everything organized and we give it away for a free will donation to the 4-H.  So you see a brand new light fixture set and you want to give us $2?  That is fine.   You bought a book but love 4-H and so you throw the kids a $20?   We love that!   We don’t judge.  We don’t care what you pay.  We just let you drop money to a kid and walk out the door.  The first year we did this, it was solely because we had so many donations I was overwhelmed and I suggested it.  We made over $1500 that year.  And guess what?  We have never made less than $1200.  It is crazy how generous people are.  And since it is all donated stuff, it costs is nothing but time.  The CWF kids had a food stand and they made enough money that all of the people going are getting $125 for their accounts.  It is amazingly lucrative. 

Last night, after the set up, Quincy and Landrie learned the finer art of breakfast burrito making. I was proud of them, I literally sat around and oversaw things but didn’t have to do any work.  It was amazing.  We sold out of burritos by 9:30.  

We had great helpers, and hard workers today too.  I love this.  The only thing I hate is the amount of work that goes in.   Organizing, cooking, set up and clean up are a full 2 day process.  I feel like a need an additional day off now!  

I was done with everything when we got home.  Jim worked today at a park and rec sale, and then at the city’s medication take back.  He was also done.  We ordered Chinese food and I am exceptionally happy about a night off from culinary duties.  

Saige has been asking for weeks for her friends to come over for a sleepover.  I decided the time to do this is when I am already exhausted from a crazy day!   They did a small presentation for Preston and me.  They are pretty funny girls.   Loud and squirrley, but funny.  

Preston worked at the vineyard today.  He battled a tree and lost.  Luckily he is ok.   He wasn’t super excited about the house load of girls that is here.  He feels extremely outnumbered.   

I guess the best news is that we still have Sunday to get stuff done and relax!   

No comments:

Post a Comment