Friday, April 8, 2022

Bye bye






Ever since we moved here 8 (yes 8- how crazy is that?) years ago, I have wanted a mini donkey.  I have asked Jim if he cared, and his response was always the same. He didn’t care, but we had to build a pen for it.  Soooo when a friend offered me a free one (because they were moving and couldn’t take it) I jumped at the opportunity.   Here’s the thing though. I didn’t do enough research.  I did not know this was a fully intact jack donkey.  He had the attitude of it as well.  He bit, kicked, and we couldn’t catch him or halter him at all. I was worried someone was going to get hurt.  Wednesday, as I was doing my bus paper work, I opened the bus door to some awful commotion down at the barn.  We have some new goats, and they keep getting their heads stuck in the fence.  I told Saige to go down and see which one was stuck and help him out.  She came back screaming bloody murder!  The donkey had a goat by the neck!  I grabbed the first thing I could get my hands on (the broom) and ran down there.  Sure enough, Kipper had one of the new goats around the neck and was flinging it around like a toy.  I assume the goat escaped his own pen and walked into the wrong place !  I poked the donkey with the broom and rescued the goat.  It was the end for me.  I knew I was out of my comfort zone, my farm skill level and I was worried about people or other animals getting hurt, and knew that I couldn't keep this animal at our house.  Last night, he went to a new home.  The new people raise mini donkeys and are super excited about him.  Even when he was kicking, jumping fences, and acting like the ass that he is, they were quiet, calm, and told me that they knew what they were getting and weren't worried about his attitude.  It took us an hour to get him loaded, and Coco the pony is sort of sad to lose his friend, but I am actually quite relieved.  I will keep an eye on Coco to make sure he is ok without a companion, and we will adjust as necessary.  I was talking to my mom about it, I felt sort of guilty about taking him and then rehoming him.  She pointed out that life is too short to keep around mean animals when there are so many nice ones out there!  Shes absolutely right!  
***edited to add - the goat is fine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment