Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Project talk







One of my goals as a 4-H leader is to get kids comfortable with giving presentations.   I feel like if you are excited about your project, you should be able to tell us all a few things about it.  I don’t expect them to give an elaborate presentation with graphics and a slide show.  Just give me 2-3 minutes worth of information on something you enjoy.  Jim and I agree that of all the skills we gained in 4-H, the ability to comfortably speak in front of others is pretty high up there.  Anyway, we took a new approach this year.  We used to take volunteers.  Nobody would ever volunteer.  So this year they were volun-told.  I assigned every kid a night to give a presentation.  I didn’t tell them what they had to do - the sky is the limit.  It has been going better. More kids are doing presentations.  Tonight, Saige was on the agenda.  I told her she could speak about anything she wanted to, but it had to contain legitimate information.  She gave a nice presentation about her pet project (Carlos). She talked about his hypoglycemia.  She told some things she likes about her project - (he sleeps with her and loves to snuggle) and a few things she dislikes about her project (he still has accidents, and he killed one of the newborn kittens).  I am proud of her for getting up there.  

Side note- our outside cat had kittens today.  Carlos often kills moles, mice, rats and baby bunnies in the yard.  I don’t think he knew that the kittens weren’t something he should rescue us from.  We managed to get the cat moved into a place where he can’t go.  Hoping the 2 she has left will survive.   It’s always an adventure around here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment