Thursday, April 28, 2022

RE finale














Last night, we had the closing party for RE.  Summer break is here!  The kids were given a very nice ceremony and were given the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  I should have taken photos, but I failed.  I was sort of worried about giving this particular group of children lit candles, but it all worked out, they were all very careful and respectful!  They also played some games, and had snacks.  

The highlight of the night was releasing a balloon rosary (a decade anyway).  Yea, I know about the balloon launch being a way to litter the earth.  This was still very cool to see the kids offer up their prayers for loved ones.  Plus, it was not my idea.  The whole night was planned by not me, which I appreciated and enjoyed.  This was Harper's last grade school RE class.  She will go to confirmation class.  We are undecided on if she will go to confirmation class next year, or if we will have her wait and take the class together with Saige.  Either way, we are getting oh so close to reclaiming Wednesday nights!  I am sure when it is all said and done, I will miss these days.  I enjoy the kids, and being allowed to teach RE has always been fun for me.  Service in an enjoyable fashion makes it seem less like serving and more like a hobby.  That being said, it has been a long, long labor of love.  
I did have to tell Harper and Saige a story on the way home.  Several years back, before they were in RE, the same director spent a long time creating an entire rosary out of balloons - to launch at the closing RE.  She had put in so much work and each kid had said a prayer and then we all went outside to release the balloon rosary.  It went up, got caught in the wind, and wrapped around a power line and popped most of the balloons!  It was sort of sad and hilarious at the same time.  My kids watched those balloons in the power lines for weeks every time we went to mass, we had to check to see if they were still tangled up.  


Spencer sent me this photo of Colin and Volt.  The look on Volt's face makes me laugh.  That dog looks like he is going to kick Colin's butt!  :)  

Yesterday, I told Evelyn I needed to run to the Dollar General to pick up some gifts for the RE teachers.  
Evie: OH! you need to get a gift for me? 
Me: Not today, I just need some gifts for the teachers.
Evie:  Oh!  you are buying a gift for my mom and dad? 
Me: not today!  We are just getting teacher gifts!
Evie:  Are you getting a gift for GG and Papa Larry?
Me:  not today!  Just teacher gifts!
Evie:  Can we at least get some snacks?  
Your wish is my command kid.  haha!


I then made a second error in telling her that I would let her ride Coco after lunch.  That was followed with is it lunch time yet?  On repeat!  When it was finally lunch time, she wasn't hungry....she just wanted to ride.  

We got her all settled on the horse, who was way more involved in munching grass than in the child sitting on him.  Evie said "grammy this feels like nervous!"  
After a few minutes, she asked me when Coco would start flying.  I guess she got comfortable in a hurry!  
She started right in this morning wondering if she can ride again.  I told her it depends on if it is raining or not.  She told me not to worry - it isn't raining!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment