Saturday, April 9, 2022

Thankfulness














Lent is getting close to being over.  I set a goal to be more thankful in my life.  I think I have fallen short more than I have succeeded this season.  It’s not that I am not thankful for the things I have been given, it’s just that life goes a little haywire and I am easily distracted.  This has been a bad week. Not because anything truly tragic has happened, but it seems like everywhere I turned, some weird thing happened.  Examples- I had a kid tell me he dropped his ear bud under the steps of the bus. Asked me if he could crawl under and get it.  I thought he was asking to kneel down and get under the steps of the bus. Something that commonly happens - and I was pleased that he asked - you know - so I could make sure he was out of there before I ran over him.  Stupidly, he did not just kneel down, he crawled clear underneath of the running bus.  The principal caught him - and of course he told her that he asked me if it was ok and I said yea.  Ummmmmm so not what I agreed to.  Needless to say I ran my route assuming I was getting fired.  My boss was very understanding.  Nobody was hurt (thank God) and he said he was not firing me for it.  I’m thankful for that, and extra thankful that the crazy boy was not injured.
Friday I was running my route and had a blow out.  Miles wise, I was about halfway done, kid wise I only had 6 left on.  I thought one of them was popping plastic bags.  Except the one who would actually do that was asleep.  I had one who immediately called her dad. Told him to leave work and come rescue her, to which I told her we would get a new bus before he could even get there and to chill.   They did send me out a new bus, and I am thankful that I had a blowout on a not busy, gravel road where I wasn’t driving fast.  Nobody was hurt, no buses were wrecked. It just felt like the perfect ending for an already messed up week.  I’m also thankful for the Pina coladas I had mixed a couple weeks ago and left in my freezer!   They were needed on Friday evening!   
More to be thankful for- I got the above photo from one of Harper’s teachers.  She got an award for being on the honor roll.  She is a quiet girl, never asks for help on homework, or makes much of a fuss about things.  She’s just quietly out there kicking butt.  I’m so proud of her!  


I  am thankful for all of my children.  The younger crowd is filled with amazing kids who work hard, and help around here, and are all doing great in school.  The adult ones are truly doing amazing things with their lives.  I also commonly see them doing things together.  Being friends with their siblings makes me the best kind of happy.   Cameron drove to Wichita to go to a concert with Colin.   I believe my nephew went out as well.  If I accomplish nothing else in my life ever, I will be proud of the fact that they love their family.  
Today my big boys (Andrew, Colin and Cameron) are going fishing with their dad.  They planned a whole afternoon together.  Jim is so excited.  I am so happy about it.  Jim had been working an insane amount of hours, mostly because of some big projects the city is doing.  He needed a fun day.  He has had a list of fish he would like to catch.  Andrew put a lot of time into figuring out where to go.  They went to Milford, and Jim texted me a photo of one of the things he wanted to get - a blue cat!  


I am thankful that spring is finally here.  I am itching to get my hands in the dirt, and to do more stuff outside.  I need fresh air and vitamin D. 

I am thankful for new friends.  We have new neighbors.  I say new, but they have been here for almost 2 years now.  I have really gotten to like the wife. She is hilarious.  They got a new dog that they rescued. Minnie is here quite a bit, she likes to come play with our dogs. I’m thankful that they all get along now!  

I’m also very thankful for where we live.  I need a  lot of space.  I like being able to get away from society, and our home really does that for me.  I’d rather spend my time with goats, and chickens  than most people.  I’m thankful to Jim for understanding this, and embracing my insanity.  

I don’t talk about them much, but I am very thankful for my parents.  They are coming upon their 50th wedding anniversary.  They are the ones who made me understand the value of hard work, the value of raising your children with responsibility, family unity, and the example of how to stick things out, even when times are rough.  I can never be thankful enough for the lessons that I have learned from them.  My mom is also one of my best friends.  She is a woman who always listens, backs you up, takes your side no matter what stupid atrocity has happened, and loves her family unconditionally.  My dad is her sort of silent partner. He always has your back, but sometimes he does it while shaking his head at our ideas.  They are some of my favorite people.  


The good Lord sent this little girl out of nowhere.  We didn’t know she was coming, but we are absolutely, completely in love with her.   My children and this little girl are my whole world!  

And last but not least in this thankful post,  this dude.  Jim is a complicated person.  He never jumps into anything without giving it a complete study.  He always has on some music he wants to share with you, filling our house with obscure sappy songs.  He sometimes has to reign me in because I always jump in with both feet and lack of reaearch.   I need him.  He never tells me no, but he always makes me a list of things I have to consider first.  He has saved me from stupid decisions with his calm, steadfast reasoning multiple times.  This week is the anniversary of when we met - 30 years.  I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by.   Our relationship is one that usually comes easily.  We are friends first, committed to being together and knowing that we can work through any hardships  that come our way.  It makes me very happy that this man always listens to my stories and ideas  and always has my back. I am so thankful for him.  I’m also thankful to his parents for raising such a fine man.  I’m a lucky girl, even when the weeks are crazy and the weird crap flies.   

No comments:

Post a Comment