Sunday, April 3, 2022

New project weekend




















The kids have a 3 day weekend from school, having Friday off.  I was happy about it.  Got home from working Thursday evening, was just thinking about what to make for dinner, when Harper came in from doing chores and said that Coco  and Kipper were out and she couldn’t get them back in.   Quincy had to work, but had a little time, so we went out and were immediately able to get the pony back in the pen. The donkey?  Well there is a reason they are called jackasses.  

Quincy left for work.  Harper and I chased/lured this jerk for an hour.  I will say with absolute certainty, he should be thankful I do not own a gun!   Finally, I decided to put the fence back up where he was standing, corral him in with a few other panel gates we had, and then open a hole in the fence where he was supposed to be.  We were actually planning to expand their pen in this way anyhow, just not on Thursday evening.   Lucky for me, Mallory showed up and was willing to help me.  She held panels, helped me keep the stupid donkey from escaping our new pen, and kept me from strangling the Kipper!   Preston got home from work and helped me finish pounding posts in. He announced that my pen building skills are not up to his standard, but he was impressed that I built a pen rather than catching the donkey.   

On Friday, Harper, Quincy and I left bright and early in search of some project goats. Saige spent the night with Evelyn at Mallory’s house. She wanted to avoid the long drive!  The place we went was Belpre Kansas.  It is a 3.5 hour drive from here.  Why did we go 3.5 hours away to get goats?  Because the price was right!   I told Jim even with the current price of gas, I could drive out there, buy 4 goats and not spend what I would have in this part of the state for 1 goat.  Are they going to be the grand champion goats?   I doubt it.  Will my kids make money rather than losing money?  I believe so.  What are we teaching them?   We don’t need to raise livestock in order to teach them to lose money!   Am I crazy?  Maybe.  Did I enjoy having a day with the girls?  Yes I did!  I’d like to believe the girls had a good day as well, but I’m a little too afraid to ask them.  They heard a lot of stories, heard a lot of singing along to the radio, took some cat naps and stopped too many times for bathroom breaks.  I’m also thankful they went along. Quincy did a great job picking out, and subsequently catching the goats.  Harper kept her eye out the back window of the truck all the way home, watching  to be sure they were riding ok.  It was great teamwork!  

We got 4 new babies.  This makes a grand total of 8 goats that we are hosting for the summer.  They are all a little bit on the wild side, the kids have their work cut out on taming and training them!  If it was up to me, and fencing wasn’t such an ordeal, I would have dozens of goats.  They are funny, easy to handle, cute and actually sort of like having a bunch of big goofy dogs.   I love them.  Of course, the work that comes along with having them in the winter months might not be worth it!   I’m more of a fair weather farmer.  Ha ha!  

This weekend, Cameron and Lauren are in Baton Rouge.  Lauren is deciding whether she wants to move down there.  She had a couple of job interviews and they were taking in the city.  I’m not sure what she will decide, but the trip looks fun, and the food looks delish!  

Colin sent me this photo of himself sleeping on the job.  I guess they were waiting for some contractor to arrive.  I told him I’m not paying my electric bill this month.   He’s a funny guy, I get a kick out of the random stuff he sends me.  


Saige wanted to try showing rabbits this year.  She asked her dad, and he said he didn’t care as long as she was willing to do the work.  We have been looking for some rabbits, but every time I saw any that were show quality, they would be gone before I could even ask about them.  A bus co-worker had these cute little babies.  They are magpie Harlequins.  They aren’t perfect in their markings, but they should be ok for showing.  It doesn’t really matter, the girls took one look at them and picked with their hearts rather than the ARBA standards.  Saige named hers Wyoming.  Harper named hers Berry.   They are just about the cutest little bunnies I have ever seen.   I am in love.   Of course, I did a little research. These are dual purpose rabbits.  I was telling Jim and the girls how much rabbit meat is selling for currently.   I am extremely unpopular here now.  I didn’t mean eat these 2.  Just perhaps butchering their babies.   Apparently that is the grossest idea anyone has ever shared in this house.   
Saige named her goat Josh Allen 457.   I have no idea why.  Josh is wild and currently hates all of us.   She even tried to bribe him with a mozzarella stick!  It didn’t work.  She is excited to train him, I just hope she’s still excited in a few weeks!   

No comments:

Post a Comment