Monday, March 4, 2024

Blink weekend

 

We had an amazing weekend here.  Zero events, zero commitments, zero hours at weekend jobs.  Plenty of time to get things done, plenty of time to hang with my kids and grandkids.  We did have Quincy’s friend Joe here all weekend since he stayed with us while his parents were out of town.   He is so low key I almost forgot he was here though!  Anyway…  I had a list.  I did not accomplish all of the list, but I got enough done to feel good about it.  The only thing that doesn’t feel good is that it is over!   The good news?  Four days until we begin spring break.  The bad news?  Everyone knows how fast the last quarter of school flies by, and we will be faced with Quincy graduating, which makes me both proud and sad.  If you’ve been here for a while, you may recall that kids becoming adults and moving out is hard for me.  
Saige and Harper both have “end of quarter reward days” this week.  Harper’s class gets to travel to Burlington to their indoor pool/rec center.  Saige’s class gets board game day - where they have to bring the board games and their own drink and snack?  Saige says she knows the school hates her class.   It does sort of feel like she’s in the “red-headed step child” class. I’m not sure how these things work….however I haul 5th and 6th graders on my shuttle bus, and I can tell you that I wouldn’t risk taking them anywhere either!  Saige is making the best of it, and spent the last few days polishing up her checkers playing skills so she can at least be the winner of the board game day.  Do what ya can with what ya have right? 

Madison and her family came over yesterday and spent most of the day. Andrew helped Jim clear some brush and Andrew and I made a small exchange and he was here to get my tiller running (successfully).   He will be getting a few chickens from the ones I ordered later this spring.  The pullets will arrive soon!  I had a small amount of 'chicken math' going on.  I told Jim I was ordering myself some pullets.  I told him I wanted 10 and Andrew can have 6 (city of Carbondale rules). But the hatcheries know how to suck you in, and they made the “rainbow variety pack of 25 egg layers” so cheap that I just couldn’t resist!   You know....it’s not that many more birds. No biggie?  I saved money!   I also have broilers coming but not until much later in the spring.  It seems pandemic supply issues still exist in hatcheries?  Jim would be proud to know that I first had the “hatchery surprise box” in my cart, but decided to set my dream prize aside since they would only send straight run - I got a straight run of chicks last year and that is how I ended up with 8 roosters!   Since I only just got that mess out of here, I decided to buy the pullet only package!   Someday…..the best gift I could ever get - that surprise box.  They will send you 50 things.  It will be whatever they have extras of that day’s hatch. You might get chickens, ducks, geese, guineas…..whatever they have - and to me that sounds like a heck of a fun thing to get in the mail.   Someday I will order it…..my dreams are simple! Some girls want fancy houses, jewels, and nice cars.  All I want is that surprise box! Oh and a running tiller and all the plants!  The cost might actually end up being the same.  This is why I got that 4th job?  



I was in the back bathroom yesterday pulling my hair back out of my face when I thought "why do I hear music?.....Am I losing my mind?"  I looked out to find Quincy and Evie in the hammock.  Quincy had moved it!  Q was taking a nap, Evie was watching videos on Quincy's phone!  It also answered the question as to where Saige was going with food, drinks, and who knows what else.  I thought it was funny that Mr. Mackey and Ollie were hanging out with them!  Side note, I know it is sort of silly to keep a wethered goat around as a pet, but I am so proud of the way Mr. Mackey has grown!  You would never know he spend a month in our living room on death's door last year at this time.  He hasn't forgotten that he is a special boy either...he is so sweet and we all just love him!




It was but a blink, but the weekend that we all enjoyed so much is over and done.  We have quite a random list of things to do this week.  I am thankful we had a little time for relaxing, list accomplishing, and being together with the kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment