Thursday, March 14, 2024

The goods

 

We are enjoying our (rapidly disappearing) spring break.  This break is about getting a few projects started, a few things done, some planning in place for the rest of this spring, catching up a little bit, and perhaps breathing!   
This post will probably be random and all over the place because that is how I roll!   I was so so so excited to see my orchid with blooms on it!   Mallory gave me this beautiful orchid for Mother’s Day last year.  I have always loved orchids, but was too afraid to attempt bringing one home.   I read some stuff, watered this thing (the directions say ice it, but  something about putting ice on a plant seems inherently wrong.  I stopped that nonsense, and just give it a once a week drink.  It didn’t die.  I worried that the pot is too small.  I read some more and found that they actually like being root bound.  Also seems inherently wrong.  Despite my feelings of failing, this little plant has not died.  And now….big beautiful flowers!  It is beautiful despite my ignorance.  And it also seems to be the only house plant that our stupid resident Jewwy cat doesn’t  eat!  



I don’t remember if I mentioned the last time the farrier was here?  I was at work. The kids were home on some sort of day off school.  Quincy assured me she could catch Coco, and would hold him while Suzy trimmed his toes.  I left a check, and went off to work.  Quincy and her friend Joe tried to catch the pony.  He was being a stinker, and they couldn’t catch him. So Quincy decided that maybe it would be easier if she LET HIM OUT!   We often let him out to graze the yard, but not after having chased him!  He was all worked up and was running in circles like a freak!  Quincy called me in a panic.  I came home and we all (farrier, Joe, Harper Saige, Quincy and I) chased the dang pony around in circles for quite some time before he made an error and got trapped!   Somehow, we got off the farrier’s schedule!   She assured me it was an oversight and no hard feelings about being forced to chase him!   Anyway, we are back on schedule and Coco was a very good boy yesterday while we got him all prettied up.  


Bitty Betty spent a few hours outside today in our baby pen!  She’s getting so big already!   I was at work when Harper texted to tell me that she hated that she could hear her crying, and couldn’t we just make her a full time house goat?   She is cute and apparently good at manipulation!   My intent was to only have her outside while it was warm during the day, and when storms blew up, we did bring her back inside with us.  She doesn’t understand she is a goat!  

Today we had thunder  storms, lightening, tornado warnings (none hit here), baby rabbits born (5 kits in one litter), a baby goat in the house, and a notice that my baby  chicks will be in tomorrow’s mail.  It really is spring!  
We have 4 does. They are very nice, show quality, beautiful girls.  And they are terrible mothers.   We spent a lot of time setting them up with nesting boxes and bedding for their babies. This one had her babies. She built a nest, but not in the box.  I moved them into the box so they will be safe, but who knows if she will take care of them since I had no choice but to touch her nest.  Bottle raising kits is all but impossible.  We will just have to wait it out.  

This little girl was tired after a day at the park, lunch with Grammy and Poppy, and a lot of outside time.  The weather was beautiful before the storms hit!  





This one was giving her mom the look of “do we really have to watch scrolling storm coverage?”   Answer - yes.  Sorry Daisy Paige- if there is questionable weather your master will be glued to the local news channel, scrolling the internet and stalking Reed Timmer.   Ohhh and sending reports and directions to Preston, who was in the path of a couple of the storms.  And possibly reporting to me that Preston was not taking his tornado safety precautions seriously.  
I shared a photo from 8 years ago when Quincy’s 4th grade class visited the one room school house.  Quincy’s old 4th grade teacher shared this photo of her class from that day. For some reason, I found it extremely humorous.  

At my office, I have somehow managed to collect quite a number of house plants.  Most likely because when I have house plants at my house the cat thinks they should be used as snacks.  I decided to take this plant stand that we had at our house for years to work.  Except I cannot find it anywhere.   Isn’t that how it always goes?   Plan B - I found this cute little plant stand on Amazon and it wasn’t even expensive.  I purchased it.  When it arrived, I realized the error of my purchase. It came in a Barbie sized box.  I thought it would probably be great for Evelyn’s dream house she got for Christmas.  Oh no, it is a full size stand, that you have to assemble.  Good news - no tools needed.  Bad news - 23,000 pieces.   Good news - photographic directions.  Bad news - after counting out the pieces and following the directions , I cannot get the pieces to fit together to save myself.  Luckily, Jim stopped by my office today and seemed to have pity for my soul.  He had council today, so no time to assemble a match stick project,  but he did promise to help soon.  If he can’t get it, well the pieces will make a real nice little campfire.  



Little Bitty Betty loves her momma-Harper.  They were coloring together.  The coloring actually got moved to the table because goats don’t have opposable thumbs. 
More randomness to come, just give me time! 






No comments:

Post a Comment