Tuesday, March 12, 2024

spring break stuff


I am sure you all remember my friend Grace.  I didn’t take any photos today, but I was so happy that she came for a visit.  The visit even had a purpose.  Remember like 3 years ago, when I randomly bought a sewing machine at an auction?   Remember when I told Mallory it would NOT sit, unused in my closet, for her to throw away when I die?   Yes!  Today, I took my first (of I hope many) sewing lesson.  Jim was sweet enough to find and order the foot pedal, and Grace showed me how to use the machine!  Now, I am nowhere near Grace level on sewing.  She is a wizard- genius level and can literally sew anything.  Fix anything.  Patch anything.  She has saved my bacon more times than I care to talk about (flashing back to the Madison wedding dress fiasco of 2019). She has made my kids pajamas, pillows, stuffed toys, and she cut apart my mom’s wedding dress to make Quincy’s First Communion dress.  She made beautiful dresses for Mallory and Madison’s First Communion.  I’m telling you, the woman has some mad skills.  Will I ever reach her level?  Absolutely not.  I could spend the rest of my life trying and couldn’t ever come close.  BUT I don’t really want that.  I just wanted to make some curtains, maybe learn to sew up some pants when we rip them, and basically just prove a point that old dogs can learn new tricks. 
My curtains!   I made a whole panel curtain for the bedroom door, and a sham for the window.  My plan was to use the old rods in the living room since I took them down, but they didn’t fit.  Quincy was going to Topeka, and stopped to get me some new rods, but when we opened them, they were missing a piece.  So someday this week, we will get them hung, and I will take pictures of my amazing work and because they will be photos you won’t be able to see that they might be a tad bit imperfect, but I am still amused that I accomplished such an amazing task!   Thanks so much Grace!  

PS the fabric was a gift from Grace for Christmas.  When we were shopping for new bedroom decor she found fabric that perfectly matched my vision!   I even have extra for a couple of future projects we are planning!   So far, this curtain project has only cost me $11.85.   Nobody can be upset with that! 

I cannot believe that this is Quincy's last spring break (of her childhood anyway!).  My little crazy kid is making good decisions, planning for her future, plugging away working her buns off like normal.  When this photo popped up on my facebook memories, I got sort of choked up.  I don't know when she grew up, or why it had to happen so quickly.  I used to joke that every single gray hair on my head was a result of this child...but even when she was doing insane things, she was amusing.  I am so proud of her, and how she has matured.  Love you Q!   This was a memory from her going to the fieldtrip at the one room school house.  Mallory and Madison absolutely LOVED this trip....Harper never got to experience it due to covid, but the rest of my kids HATED it!  Mallory and Madison loved dressing up, wearing a bonnet, and matching dresses, taking their lunch that was also supposed to be lunch that they would have packed back in the day.....Quincy refused to wear a dress, begged to stay home and was highly insulted that on a day she was allowed to bring a lunch (because I am a lover of someone else cooking for my kids) she had to bring a dumb lunch rather than a cool lunch with lunchables, and a hostess ding dong.  It was not a good day for her!  I also believe she may have been talking and had to wear the dunce cap and sit in the corner.....but that might just be a story she exaggerated.  :)  

All Evie wanted to do for spring break was have a sleepover.  We took care of that!  She had fun playing with Bitty Betty, and keeping Saige and Harper busy!  Since I was staying home from work yesterday to visit with Grace, I fed her breakfast and then took her home.  She was not happy with me, begged me to stay for a couple more days.  I love that she feels comfortable in our house and likes hanging out with us.  Having a couple of kids around eases the sadness of my group growing up and moving out!  My grandma used to joke that her nest never got empty - that she had no idea how that would feel.  To me it isn't really a joke - I don't want the nest to be empty!  I love that my older kids are in a place to start families so that I have babies to love on!  Also, I am willing to take baby animals, as well as baby people.






And the baby animals and baby people love each other!  :)
Bitty Betty had all sorts of fun jumping around and running from the girls!  I was thrilled that they made her tired!  Betty's time in the house is going to be coming to an end, she is getting big and strong and capable of spending more time in the barn.  She is sweet, and I am happy she is a girl, so we will be able to keep her and watch her have her own kids someday!  I am not really sad about her moving out, as she is not doing well with either keeping a diaper on, or getting potty trained!  :)   Carpet shampooing is commencing soon!  




School breaks for Mallory always seem to involve painting.  She re-did her bedroom, and we did not help!  Not that I would have been unwilling, but by the time she waited on me to have a free day, break would have been over!  

Evelyn was excited to get her nails done!  Cousin Carissa did a great job!

Wrenley was in the saucer at my house, and somehow ended up not wearing her socks....I have no idea how she managed it!  She hates socks!  It makes me smile because I know she inherited that from her Grammy!  Socks are a work of the devil!  :)  

I went to buy feed.  There were baby ducks.  I looked at them.  I LOVE baby ducks.  I did NOT buy the baby ducks!  I thought about it.  I might have even picked them up.  I left them in the store.  I had to text Jim and tell him that I do indeed possess some self control!  I did not tell him that the self control came from the price of the ducks, and the fact that I had priced some from the hatchery and they were more than half the price of these!  That is beside the point - baby ducks 0 - Hope - 1.  
We are taking a trip in May, so we are staying close to home for this break.  I am enjoying having the girls home, getting a few things done, and hanging out.  I am always happy to know that "spring" is here!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment