Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Rocky


Yesterday when I came home from work, I found that one of the does had her kids.  At first glance I thought they were both dead.  I was sad and went in to retrieve the bodies.  That is when I realized one was still breathing. Poor little thing was half frozen and not moving very well.  I scooped him up and put him inside my coat.  I put him in front of the space heater and then I went to work drying him off.  The dog actually was a great help with this process. She was licking and licking this baby.  It was one of the sweetest things I have ever witnessed.  I could even forgive her smell for the help she gave me.

I had to leave to drive the afternoon bus route. I said a little prayer and told the goat it was up to him now.  I wrapped him in some old baby blankets and hoped for the best.  

As lethargic as he was, I expected to come back home to a dead goat.  But he was laying there in his box of blankets looking around.  Quincy immediately went into "let's work hard to save him" mode.  She was a tremendous help as we had to milk colostrum off the momma.  Katie is the mother goat and she is not wild, but she is far from being the type to just stand still while I milk her!  

By the time Preston got home, the girls had named him Rocky (because he is a fighter) and he was drinking from a bottle and standing on his own!

It is technically Preston's baby (Preston's doe).  Preston has already pledged his undying love and loyalty to this baby!

Preston *might* have skipped school to keep an eye on Rocky today!

No comments:

Post a Comment