Thursday, December 16, 2021

Harper’s 12th birthday










 
Harper turned 12 yesterday.  It was a very weird day!   We were under a wind advisory for most of the day.  The wind blew literally 60 miles an hour out of the south.  Thank God it was from the south because that meant it was at least warm blowing air!  It was 75 degrees and everything was damp from humidity. It felt like a spring day!  
Harper isn’t one who likes big deals made about things.  She didn’t really want a party this year, so we had a quiet little family dinner a couple weeks back.  She didn’t really have anything that she wanted for a gift either.  She did request a Heath cake.  Luckily, Evelyn and I ran home at lunch time and made her cake, and put white chili in the crock pot.   I say luckily because about 20 minutes after I got home last night, huge storms blew in, the power went out and is still out today.   Harper was supposed to have a band/choir concert last night.  It was postponed due to the potential for tornados.  Now as a child with a December birthday, Harper has had things postponed before, but usually due to snow or ice, not tornado threats!  She was happy about the concert being cancelled, but not about the power going out!  Happily, we had dinner and cake to eat by candle light!   

We enjoyed hanging out talking and playing on our phones until we realized the power wasn’t coming back on, and the phone batteries were getting sort of low!  I made a decision to drive around and charge phones because I do not automatically wake up at 5:00 am, a phone alarm is needed!  
Harper is a fun kid. She adapts well!  I appreciate her insight, and her ability to be snarky, but she knows when to reel it in.  She is very helpful, sweet and caring.  She is also filled with sarcasm and insults.  Sometimes when she talks I think oh man - there I am!   I love my Harper girl. She is such a blessing to our family!  

I did pause on my way home last night.  The corn shucks were blowing out of the fields. They were catching on the fences and the trees. It looked pretty cool.  At one point, I opened the bus door to let kids out, and a bunch of corn shucks blew in.  Don’t know that I’ve had that happen before!  It was a definite crazy weather day!  

Evie loves to help on the kitchen!  She did an amazing job sprinkling Heath bars and sprinkles on Harper’s cake!  
Happy birthday Harper!  We love you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment