Thursday, February 3, 2022

Snow day(s)







If you visit here with any frequency, you know that we have been sick.  For days.  Weeks actually.  Being sick sucked.  But you know what sucked more?  Not getting to see this beautiful little girl!   I don’t know which of us missed her the most. She usually spends all her weekdays with us.   She usually comes by on weekends, at least for Sunday dinner.  Withdrawal.   
So Friday, I was so excited about having her back!   I couldn’t wait!   And then, the weekend was ruined by more sickness. Monday, she once again spent her day with GG.  I am very, very thankful for GG covering for me!  I truly am, but I was disappointed.  I spent Monday mostly sleeping.  Nothing has ever been as hard for me to get over as this Covid crap.  In honesty, I am not sure if it was Covid, or some other nasty germ I picked up, but either way, Monday was a beautiful day, and I missed having Evie.  Thankfully, the day of sleep did wonders, and so Tuesday bright and early, I finally got my buddy back!  She was happy to see us too!  She came to my office with Poppy and announced that her and Poppy were getting lunch at Los Vaqueros (which she calls the red restaurant).  She played pretty hard, and took a nap before we had a delicious lunch, and all was right in the world!  For one day!  

They were predicting a pretty major snow storm for us for Wednesday.  They were saying 10-12 inches with blowing snow and bitter wind chills.  Needless to say, they called off school.  No more little buddy for me!  I am glad she is home safe with her momma, and I am glad we had one day!  haha!  
We did not quite get 10-12 inches of snow, but we did get probably 4-5.   Since the governor closed some of the state offices, I gave the myself and the maintenance man the day off at the Watershed district..  The maintenance man laughed and told me if I thought he was going out, I was crazy, but he appreciated the call.  :)  When I became a district employee last year, I began getting paid for snow days, which literally means I get paid to NOT drive the bus!  I love that!  Sure I will stay home and you can pay me for it!  Thank you!!  Needless to say, yesterday was the first day I have felt normal for about 2 weeks.  I am behind on everything.  I utilized the opportunity, caught up the laundry, cooked actual food, and managed to clean out the fridge!  I love a snow day!  

I must backtrack a little for a story.  Tuesday evening, we knew the weather was going to get bad.  I have been sick for days, and frankly, we have been eating weird.  We have had a lot of Lipton cup o soup, cans of chicken noodle, some peanut butter, the kids have subsisted on frozen pizzas, pizza rolls, and chicken strips.  I feel bad, but it was just how we functioned for a while.  Needless to say, grocery shopping had not happened.  We were out of bread, out of milk, out of butter, etc.  I thought to myself, I better run after I get off the bus over to Carbondale to grab us stuff so we can cook during this storm!  BUT - Quincy has been using my car while hers is at Jagger's.  What to do?  What to do?  I will make a list, catch Preston after school and send him!  I texted and he agreed, if I gave him a detailed list.  I made the most detailed list ever, and handed it off after school with my debit card.  I must admit, I was a little worried, because Preston is the pickiest eater alive.  I had a vision of saying I wanted cheese, him saying to himself "but I hate cheese, I am not buying that" and then literally not buying the cheese.  I will say, he did a great job!!  I am now the owner of an unauthorized bucket of ice cream, and some random bagged cookies, but he got the stuff on my list, even with his unauthorized purchases, he spent less than i usually do, and he got it all carried in and unloaded too!  I did have to make him some pulled pork as a thank you, but that was totally doable!  :)  I am thankful for children who can drive!  Sometimes!  

We all stayed home yesterday.  Except for Preston.  He had a shift at the store and could not find anyone to trade with him.  We let him take the Nissan, since it has 4 wheel drive, and we made him leave extra early.  He texted to say the roads were not great, but he did make it.  While he was at work, we got the call to say no school again on Thursday.  I texted to tell him.  He came home an hour or so later.  This is when the weirdness started.  He told me when he was at work, he started thinking about it.  This could potentially be his last snow day of his life.  I said Preston - you are a junior - you have all of next year.  He said but what if next year is a mild winter?  (Insert eye roll).  He then puts on his "snow day hat" and tells the girls that tomorrow, they are doing all the snow day stuff -  snow angels, snow boarding, sledding, drinking hot chocolate, making snow ice cream, watching snow day movies, and making cookies.  UHHHHH we did that today son!  He said "MOM! stop trying to ruin my last snow day ever!"  Whatever I said, he turned into me ruining his last snow day!  Amusing?  Maybe.  Last snow day ever?  Possible I guess - except that Cameron, Jim and I all had a snow day yesterday....and as the amazing adult I am, I would actually be ok if I never had another one!  Stay tuned for the results of Preston's potential last ever snow day I guess!  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment