Saturday, February 18, 2023

Good fun


































We had a great first whole day with Cameron. He gave us a partial tour of campus, where I was happy because spring is here in Louisiana.  There are flowers, green grass, and green trees budding out.  I also really love the Spanish moss.  Going home where there is at least 6 more weeks of winter is going to be difficult.  
We also went to Barns and Noble’s largest store on a campus, where we decided that Carlos is not going to become an LSU fan since doggie sweaters are $40 there!   

Although it was a 2 hour drive, I forced Cameron to drive us to the ocean.  The girls had never seen it, and if you’re this close, seemed to me like a thing you should do.  Unfortunately, it was cold today, but the beaches in Gulfport and Biloxi aren’t exactly the beautiful beaches of Florida.   Close enough for our needs today.  Saige did have to put her feet in, despite it being really chilly!   

I think the most fun was feeding the sea gulls cheese puffs and cookies.  They are so funny. 

And Cameron had to throw a rock in before we could leave.  I tried to talk the kids into eating some sea food at a couple of the local dives, but they weren’t excited about that.  McDonald’s for the win. Cause we can’t eat at McDonald’s with an ocean view at home.  


After lunch, I forced the kids to go to the Mississippi aquarium.  They all groaned, but I guarantee they all had fun.  The place has quite a bit of random stuff, including some gators and otters.  I could have sat and watched the fish swim for hours.  

We also got to touch sting rays, bamboo sharks, anemones, sea urchins, and some crabs.  It was awesome but we did end up pretty wet!  

If I ever come back to that area, I would totally go again.  

All the talk about seafood made Cameron decide we should go to Tony’s. It’s like a seafood grocery store.  They have prepared sea food, raw sea food, all the supplies you need for a boil, king cakes, and other eclectic local foods.   It is an interesting place, but based on how many people were there, I knew it would be good. In addition to fried fish, shrimp, some sort of rice balls, king cake, and coleslaw, we also bought 2 pounds of crawfish. I wanted the kids to try them.  Cameron’s friend came over and showed us the proper way to eat them.  It is not a bad tasting thing to eat, but in my opinion it is a lot of work for a tiny bite of meat.  As I mentioned, we bought 2 pounds. It seemed like a whole lot to me.  Cameron’s friend told me in her family, she would usually eat 3 pounds herself, and her  brother would eat 10 pounds.  I guess that explains the man who had a trash bag size bunch of them.  I’d say for our family as a whole, 1/2 a pound would have been plenty!  Saige refused to try them.  Everyone else gives the crawfish 2 out of 5 stars.  

Tonight we attended an LSU gymnastics meet.  I absolutely love watching gymnastics on tv, and this was my first in person experience.  It was so much fun!   We thought it was cool that when they introduced the gymnasts, they shoot fire out of fire boxes.  It was crazy how many people were there to watch.  Cameron said he thinks the gymnastics team is more popular than the basketball team here.  
We are all exhausted and ready for more fun tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment