Saturday, February 25, 2023

Circus time


















It’s circus time in Topeka.  I remember going when I was a kid for my sister’s birthday.  I was fascinated….the circus is basically a freak show right?  I mean who decides to swing from the rafters, walk upside down on the ceiling, ride an elephant around, juggle fire while balancing on a small canister??  And who doesn’t love a freak show?   Is it politically correct to call it a freak show anymore?  Not sure. But I love it.  You want to ride a motorcycle up a cable while standing on your head?  I’m here for it.  You wanna swing from a tiny platform and throw your 12 year old daughter to another guy swinging from the rafters?  I’ll clap for you.  I like a good, crazy dangerous act.   
Jim’s grandpa was a Shriner (the Topeka Shriners host the circus as a fundraiser).  He religiously bought the kids tickets to the circus when the older 4 were small.  We went every year.  I’m ashamed to say that when he passed away, we did not continue with the tradition, and our younger 4 have not had the same yearly trip to the circus.  As a matter of fact, Harper and Saige had never been before.  We should have done better at taking them.  
Last night I took Harper, Saige and Evie.  The weather turned wonky and I wasn’t sure we should go, but we decided to drive slow and do it anyway.  

Since none of them had been before, I wanted them to get the whole experience.  I offered elephant rides, but Evie was scared.  She was worried about getting stomped on.  Saige and Evie opted for face paintings instead.  Saige refused to go down to have photos with the clowns, she says they are too creepy!  

Evie was completely enthralled during the entire first half.  When the guy ran the motorcycle up a cable with a lady hanging from the bottom of the motorcycle, she was both mesmerized and terrified.  When he flipped the bike upside down and the lady flipped to the top side, she nearly came unglued.  It was fun watching her take it all in.  

And when I say take it all in, I am including all the snacks!   Cotton candy, dippin dots, popcorn!   All the snacks.  

Unfortunately the 45 minute intermission combined with a day where she had to get up at 5 am proved to be a little too much.  

We tried to wake her up for the elephants, but couldn’t.  I took pictures for her instead.  

I was sure that when the grand finale of dirt bikes literally roaring around the arena floor and jumping onto inflatable slides combined with daredevil loud music would rouse her from her sleep.  I was wrong.  She was out!   Lucky for her, Harper refused to bring in her coat and was cold. Carrying Evie kept her warm so she didn’t even have to walk to the car!   

I’m glad we went. I think the girls had fun. I know I enjoyed it.  I’m not promising to make it an annual trip, but I do intend to make sure our grandkids at least get to go see the circus on occasion!  It’s a good way to remember Jim’s grandpa I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment