Monday, February 20, 2023

All good things must end





















I am always lost between wanting vacation to last longer, and wanting to go home.  I hate to say goodbye to my kids.  No matter how long they’ve lived on their own, no matter how dang proud of them I am for going out in the world and doing amazing things, having them far away sucks,   We had a really great trip.  Our tour guides and B&B hosts were impeccable.  The atmosphere is fun, the food is new and exciting, and having a few days to visit was awesome.  

Today we went to the Mississippi River front, and  took a tour of a Korean War ship, and museum, the USS Kidd.  The girls groaned in agony at me dragging them to something educational and historical.  Cameron was actually excited about it.  I couldn’t get a read on Lauren.  She is always so nice and sweet I don’t think she would grumble about anything I suggested.  

If in the area, this tour is great.  You can actually crawl down in the bunkers of this ship, and up in the top to the captain’s quarters.  Some parts are roped off, but they have the doors open so you can get an idea of what’s inside.  It is claustrophobic.  I climbed down, and quickly crawled right back up.  I’m positive I wouldn’t make it as a crew member on this boat!   The girls actually really enjoyed this, even though they were skeptical about it to begin with.  I’m super happy I forced them to see it.  


We had lunch at a place near campus where Cameron and Lauren like to eat.  Rock, Paper, Taco.  It was so good.  The weather was beautiful and it was nice to sit outside!  

After lunch, we took Bella for a walk, and got a good walking tour of campus.  It is such a pretty campus and I enjoyed (and got made fun of for photographing of) all of the flowers that are starting to bloom. It exacerbated my spring fever for sure.  I also stopped to straighten up the campus fairy garden, putting a couple of fairies back together and setting their houses back upright.    You see, I have a tiny bit of OCD and I just couldn’t let it go.  


We had dinner with Cameron and Lauren and then we had to hit the road.  We have to be back for school on Tuesday and I need to get home at a decent time for catching up and preparing for that.  We drove to Texas this evening and will hopefully be home mid-afternoon tomorrow.  I couldn’t cry very long, because despite being in Baton Rouge for several days, Cameron drove us around and I was completely lost and in traffic (the traffic never improves there).  I had to stop crying and concentrate!   
I’m so thankful for Jim pushing me to take the girls and go on this trip.  I’m so thankful for the time I got with Cameron and Lauren and with Quincy, Harper and Saige.  A whole lot of good memories to store up until the next time.  Also next time - NOLA is happening.  We simply ran out of time this go around!  

No comments:

Post a Comment