Saturday, February 18, 2023

Parade day
























Today I attended a parade.   I live in one of the parade happiest communities in America I thought.  I was wrong.  These people down here are Mardi Gras parade nuts.  There are tons of parades this weekend.  All of them last for hours.  The girls and I were exited.  Cameron and  Lauren did a good job of getting us guided downtown, and set us up with lunch.  We had to get there way early - and soon found out why.  People started flocking in.  If you have been around this blog for a while, you know I hate crowds.  I will say however, this crowd was filled with interesting people and the people watching  was  top of the line.  I was amused by the ones who walked the parade route before the parade started to protest the parade.   It was amusing.  



Lauren taught the girls how to scream and wave at the parade floats in order to get beads and other things thrown off the floats at them.  We all ended up with so much stuff.  It was crazy. Lauren’s friend was telling me that the school kids get the whole week off for Mardi Gras down here.  It is funny to me that this is such a regional thing.   I have heard of it of course, but had no idea that the stores all change their merchandise, the kids are out of school and there are so many parades and celebrations.  Definitely not this big of a deal at home.  I always thought it was a one day celebration on Fat Tuesday….I am now better educated  about such things.  I’m learning a lot on this trip.   


I’m glad I got to experience this parade.  Overbrook fair parade has a lot of improvements to make.  

It is officially spring down here.  We are headed out tomorrow evening, and I know I  going to return home and wish for flowers and green stuff for another 6-8 weeks.  I got a sun burn today.  Thos would be a major advantage of living south  in my humble opinion.  

After the parade, we went to see Mike the LSU tiger. He’s a really beautiful animal but I sort of feel sorry for him.  I think he needs a friend.  We considered letting him out, but decided not to risk Cameron and Lauren’s jobs.  

Saige was adamant that we eat dinner at Golden Corral tonight.  It felt wrong to go there without Jim, as that is  His fav.   


I learned to properly peel a crayfish from Cameron and Lauren’s friend.  I thought I was doing good because I ate 3-4 of them.  She informed me that she would normally eat about 3 pounds worth.   We bought 2 pounds.  She said her brother would eat 10 pounds.  I can’t imagine.  She was pretty excited to eat the rest for us!  


I love this photo from last night at the gymnastics meet.  
I am happy to be learning so much stuff, and having a ton of fun too.  So far this has been a great trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment