Monday, October 16, 2023

Three days went by in 2 seconds













This weekend flew by so fast!   Today, Mallory hosted brunch for my birthday.  We did brunch since Colin, Spencer, and Preston all had to head back.  Colin and Spencer had to get back for a wedding, Preston had to get some homework done.  And not to be left out, I had to work at noon.   It was nice to have most of the kids together, but we did miss Cameron and Lauren.  


Evie loves Uncle PP.   I told her to come out because I had a surprise for her.  When she saw her “surprise” she wrapped her arms around his neck and just held on. It was the sweetest thing!   

We call her the kid with a million faces.  I love her sweet little personality.  

I am so thankful for the time we got!   I miss my boys!   

Saige wanted purple highlights.  She talked Jim into buying the chemicals.  I helped her this evening!  I think it turned out cute! 


The turtles - not the best photo.  I spent a very long time after work yesterday cleaning out the turtle filter.  What have I learned about rescuing turtles?  Well, for starters, they are a tad bit expensive.  We had to buy a new light fixture and light bulb for their enclosure.  It cost me around $60 because I wanted one that would clamp on, and the bulb was really expensive, however it supposedly will last a year!  We will see I guess, although I have my doubts!  Secondly, turtles are messy!  And they poop a lot!  And their poop is sticky so it clogs up the filtration on a regular basis.  I have been reading a lot, trying to figure out if there is a better filtration system, but it would seem it is a common problem amongst people who keep turtles as pets.  Next, they are territorial and you are technically not supposed to keep more than one in an enclosure, so we are constantly monitoring to make sure they aren't hurting each other.  It is a little bit of an issue at feeding time.  Sometimes we have to remove Big Dick Randy, I usually hold him for a few minutes so that Undertaker can eat, otherwise they are too busy chasing/defending themselves to eat.  Randy seems to be the instigator.  And finally, the saving grace for these little fellows - moss balls.  They are like an odor eater for turtles!  We drop a couple in the water and it really helps.  Without them, when you walk in, you smell turtle tank (not the best smell).  With them, you still occasionally have a day where the tank smells a little fishy, but mostly it is unnoticeable.  Do I like them?  Yes!  Do I think they are worth the trouble?  Yes!  Would I do it again?  Uhhhhh maybe.  I will admit they are a lot more work than I originally thought.  They are fun to watch and play with though.    And because I am a glutton for punishment, I am starting to research a new project.  Jim is on the fence, although he has not gotten overly excited about it, he also has not said no.  What project is it?  Raising quail.  I have some big plans, but am in the research phase.  Jim is starting to get to me - old me - buy the quail, bring them home, figure it out as I go.  New me - research first, build cage, know what I am getting into first.  I will admit I sort of miss the old me....it was way more fun!  :)  

This week is shaping up to be a little bit crazy.  I am excited about it though.  I have a lot to accomplish in a few days, and an exciting weekend planned!  

No comments:

Post a Comment