Sunday, October 22, 2023

We (barely) made it

















Jim and I had an adventurous trip home.   We were elated that Colin and Spencer were home and could join us for lunch.  We had a nice visit with them, a great lunch where we used a gift card we have been meaning to use for a long time, and liked seeing the work they are currently doing on their house.  It was a nice break at the halfway point of our trip!  
We made it to El Dorado without incident, but then the car started running weird.  We managed to make it to Mattfield Green, where I suffered from flashbacks of the day my transmission blew out and I was stranded there for hours with my parents.  My dad was pacing and smoking so much we worried he was going to wear out his lungs or his boots. 
Basically, we were fairly certain we knew what was wrong with the car.  This vehicle has issues with the mass air flow sensor.  Last week, it died completely.  Jim cleaned the sensor and it was up and going again.  Lucky, we had thrown the can of cleaner and the screwdrivers we needed in the trunk for this trip (just in case) since it was dirty last week. Jim cleaned the sensor, and we put it back together.  I decided to drive around and around the service station to make sure it was all good, and seeing no issues, we took off again.  We made it about 30 feet or so down the turnpike when again we had problems.  I drove slowly on toward Emporia.   When we got to a place at the cattle crossings where I could pull off, we again cleaned the sensor and I called O’Reilly to see if they had a new sensor.  As we took off the second time, everything ran perfectly.   We stopped in Emporia for a few things we needed and made it home without any further incidents.  

One thing I will say - I think the flint hills are beautiful.  Not the best photos ever taken of that area, but if you have to break down, at least the scenery is pretty while you wait!




The girls did a remarkable job of keeping animals fed, house picked up and everything running smooth.   They might not admit it, but they were happy to see us too!   Jim was right, this weekend flew by and 4 days was not enough.  
This week we have to get caught back up (being gone always throws a kink in my schedule) and we have a few appointments and work issues to deal with.  Adulthood means jump back in whether you want to or not.  
I am abundantly thankful for the time we had to get away, the girls managing things on the home front, the older girls for checking in and handling a couple of minor issues.   The change of bed/pillows has left  Jim with a little bit of  cranky hip and back.  I think a good night of being home should help  (I hope), because we are back to work early tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment