Tuesday, July 2, 2019

An afternoon with Harper

Harper sees a different eye doctor than the rest of the family.  She had an appointment yesterday and the rest of the kids ended up staying home.  Sometimes it is nice to have time with just one of the kids.  I enjoyed my afternoon with her!  Good news is that her eyes are a little stronger than they were last year, so she needs a lighter prescription.  Bad news is she needs a new prescription!   :) We also ran a couple of errands and managed to get to Sonic for happy hour.  She is a fun kid.  

Harper and I also took the back roads home and looked at a few things along the way.  The above photo is where Camp creek runs into the Wakarusa River.  As you can see, the road is flooded out to the public hunting grounds, and the fields are under water still.  

This is the back side of Clinton Lake where Rock Creek flows into the lake.  This creek is probably a mile or more wide - totally not normal.  I was told recently that Clinton is at an all time high level.  

We also admired the wheat fields.  I absolutely love wheat.  I think ripe wheat is one of the most beautiful sights.  Plus, I love bread.  Thank you farmers!  

We also drove around the road closed sign to see how the back roads we often use to get to town were doing.  Since they still aren't releasing much water from Clinton, the Wakarusa River and Camp Creek are backed up over our "shortcut" road.  Harper was a little worried about driving around the barricades, but she told me she was glad we did because she thought it was neat to see the water over the road.  

As a family who buys hay in the winter, I am happy to see that there is a lot of hay being made!  Last year there was a shortage, and the prices got rather steep for my wallet!  I also think the corn fields are beautiful.  Actually, I am just really in love with Kansas.


This morning, when I went out for my morning walk with Grace, the dogs were parked under a tree.  They always walk with me, so when they did not move for the entire time I was outside, I had to go inspect what they were seeing.  There was a raccoon in the very tip top of the tree.  Since I had to leave for work, I am not sure who won the standoff!  I think raccoons are the cutest animals, but I do not like them, such mean little creatures!  



No comments:

Post a Comment