Tuesday, March 10, 2020

so far, so-so

Spring break is supposed to be a time of fun and relaxation.  So far, ours has not been.  I had a dentist appointment for a bad tooth, Madison is busy packing for their move, Saige is sick, and we haven't done anything very fun as of yet.  Not for lack of trying, maybe today?  :)  

Preston isn't sending much from the spring break band trip.  What he has sent was random, and not really scenic, iconic spring break type photos.  They leave tonight to travel overnight and return home tomorrow evening.  I will be taking his phone and looking at what I hope are amazing hoards of cool pictures of all the stuff they did.  (I honestly don't have much hope here).  I was amused with the whole process on Saturday morning.  The kids were to bring their suitcases on Friday.  Under the direction of the school resource officer, we inspected each suitcase for drugs, alcohol and tobacco.  Saturday morning, the kids were to bring their carry on bags, and their instruments and put them in the gym.  They then brought in a drug dog to inspect all of the bags going on the trip.  Since I am on the board, I went in to watch (I was excited because I have never seen a drug dog at work before).  The dog did his thing, and then the kids came and collected their stuff.  The board members then helped the bus drivers load everything under the buses.  I was so happy because when we got done, there was even extra room!  We are experts at packing buses by this point!  We were patting ourselves on the backs as the bus started to pull away.  They got maybe 10 feet and stopped and a few kids got off the bus.  The drummers forgot all of the drum sets and percussion equipment.  Needless to say, we had to do some re-arranging and there was no longer extra space!   They did make it safely, and I was able to watch the live stream of their performance at Universal yesterday.  They had enough equipment to make the concert sound pretty good!  :)  

This kid Preston is holding up is Dakota.  When Dakota was a freshman, he traveled with senior Cameron on a band trip to Texas.  Cameron pretty well tortured the kid, making him pose in some rather embarrassing pictures, getting him to wear a speedo, and other random hazing.  Dakota didn't forget, and he told me it was retribution time - paying back Cameron by making sure Preston was the freshman victim.  Cameron thought this was a great arrangement.....Preston didn't seem as excited by it!  :)  In all honesty, you won't find a nicer kid than Dakota.  So far, I don't think his retribution has caused too much trauma for Preston!  


The photos that Preston has sent home are things like "this is my boy - bus driver Dan."  Uhhhh, while I can appreciate that Dan drove them to Florida safely, I spent a lot of money on this trip, spent a ton of man hours running fundraisers, and helping the band director plan things.  This wasn't exactly the kind of  photo I had been hoping to see.  

Luckily, I have 2 friends who are sponsors on the trip, and they are doing a wonderful job of taking pictures of the kids, live streaming the concerts, and keeping the parents updated.  I am thankful for Lizzy and Becky!  





No comments:

Post a Comment