Thursday, May 18, 2023

Teacher of the year -And projects














First- and most importantly - Mallory was named as Santa Fe Trail’s k-5 teacher of the year.  I am so damn proud of her.  Since she was 7 years old, all she has wanted was to become a teacher.   When she graduated from high school, there was no real discussions about what she wanted to do, or where she wanted to go to college.  She has had that mapped since she was in 2nd grade.  Goals, life plans, lists, total type A stuff has been her entire life.  And to see her living her dream is amazing.  I have said it before, but I can never say it enough - education needs her. And people like her.  People with a passion for education.  People who insist on doing it the right way.  People who take little minds and convince them that they can, who set the expectations high, and never give up on making progress.  I have also seen the ugly side.  The tears of frustration.  The tears of things said by nasty parents.  The tears of knowing a child goes home to not the best circumstances. When you are a great educator, these things follow you home at night. They haunt your dreams.  They make you cry, and retreat to your mom’s house for a hot meal and a place to vent.  Both sides make me proud.  It takes someone special to care that much. If you talk nasty to me, I will pretty clearly tell you where to go.  If you talk nasty to her, she takes it to heart.  What can she do to make things better?   What did she do to make things this way?   I have seen both sides - the pride and excitement over ideas, over progress that little minds are making, the work that has been put into making one day special.  The ugly side too.  Mal rocks them both.  I don’t think proud is a strong enough word, but that is the one that comes to mind.  I am so damn proud.  Way to go Mal!  You definitely deserve this.  


Yesterday, Evie brought home a book she made at preschool.  It was her hand print made into something for every letter of the alphabet.  They were all freaking adorable!   I took pictures of some of my favs!  

I also took Evie to lunch.  A celebratory lunch for finishing preschool.  Every day, when she gets off her bus, she asks me what’s for lunch.  Every day I tell her something crazy.  Frog eye soup.  Lizard claw nuggets.  Butterfly wing tacos.  Which is why I about died laughing when I saw the paper she did for her last day.  Favorite food?  Turtle heads!   She is so dang smart!  And a little bit of a turkey too.  


Today’s projects included putting together the new stairs for the pool and installing them.  Thank you Preston!   (And Mallory who showed up and pointed out what we were doing wrong). I’ll take pictures as soon as the water is clear enough to see them!  We are working on it.  Still.  Thank you to my mom, who generously purchased the steps as last day of school, let’s swim all summer gift!  
Also, more turtle filtration issues.  A goldfish got caught up in the filtration when the turtles knocked the cover off the inlet hose.  Let’s just say I don’t want to talk or think about that never again!  
Bus is clean, fueled and turned in!  Thank you to Jim for picking me up!   This was a good year on the bus for me.   No big issues,  only one bad weather day.  No real complaints.  Not to say I’m not happy as all get out to take a break though!  

Although I absolutely 100% would rather drive the bus in the heat, with 100 bad kids than ever deal with a dead fish stuck in a filtration tube again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment