Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Better















So far, this week has been smother.  Better.  Not as nutty.  For that, I am truly thankful.  Of course, we had Monday off from school.  I had a list.  Some of the things on the list I had to run to town to buy supplies to accomplish.  I took off with a list and a mission.  The kids stayed home and did some of the things on the list.  As I was going to town, I was noticing how bright and blue the sky was.  I love bright, sunny days and was in a good mood, singing along to the radio and making more plans and mental notes to add to the lists.  Then the national weather service noise broke in on the radio.   I looked around and saw nothing, and then went about my errands.  On the way home, I saw the back side of what they were yelling about.  Luckily, none of the storms hit us Monday, since one of my projects was painting outside.  Project not accomplished though, because as it turns out you cannot fully paint a picnic table with one quart of paint!   Next time I’ll know.  

Every Easter, for the last probably 25 years, my mother has purchased all the kids a kite for their Easter baskets.  Mind you, my oldest children are 27 years old, but guess what?  We hold firm to traditions in this family!   GG mailed Cameron and Lauren their Easter kites, but I was told that living in the swamp, there wasn’t enough wind to be very successful at kite flying!   I think Cameron got a workout while trying!   Maybe during hurricane season?  

Story time.  Also about 20 something years ago, my mom drove a field trip into KC.  As the kids were doing whatever, my mom went inside some Discovery Store.  She purchased a tadpole growing kit for the older crew.  You set up this dome, got the water all balanced out, and then sent off this certificate, and they mailed us some tadpoles.  The tadpoles were African Dwarf frogs.  That is an aquatic species that live their whole lives in water.  Of course, as they matured, you were supposed to buy some frog habitat from the Discovery store, but we had an established aquarium and the parameters were close, so I just threw them in with the fish.  They lived for 3-4 years in there!   When I decided to get rid of the fish tank (which was a mistake), of course the frogs went with it.  I have missed the dang frogs.  They were very animated and fun to watch.  They were gentle with the fish (despite me being told by several people they would not be).  Anyway, when we put the turtles into the stock tank, that left a 55 gallon aquarium with the stand, filters, and other equipment just sitting empty. I’m sure you already know where I’m going with this.   I set the tank up, and cycled it.  Jim didn’t say a word.  Then I told him I was buying Evie some tadpoles.  He smiled at me and probably rolled his eyes.  I went searching.  I cannot find any tadpoles.  Discovery store still carries tadpoles, but they are leopard frogs.  I didn’t want to have to set them free.  I finally found some online. (Frogs not tadpoles).  They were $5 each.  I ordered 4, and then started to pay.  That is when I saw the shipping for 4 $5 frogs was $100.   I quickly deleted that transaction!  Back to searching.  Petsmart carries them.  I called around, and found that they had a few in Topeka!  I threw my hope of tadpole raising out the window and bought 4 little, cute baby African dwarf frogs.  “For Evie.”  She was super excited about it too.  She named one Pokie pond.  And one is named Tip toe because he likes to stand up.  They hide down in the rocks, and are a little hard to see.  But they breathe air, so if you watch patiently, they go to the surface.  Yesterday, I found Evie and I sitting in the dining room watching the turtles, the frogs and the birds that we put seed out for, and I thought this is my life - and I’m so thankful and blessed.  

Yesterday, as I was driving the bus, I could see the storms rolling in.  I was trying to hurry the kids along because I wanted to be home when it hit.  The thing about kids- the more you try to hurry them, the slower they seem to go.  I also noticed that these children were not raised in the school of Larry.   Every time the national weather service came on the radio, they would start in asking questions.  Asking if there was a tornado.  Asking if I could turn it down because the alert noise is terrible.  I had to tell them we would talk after I listened.  It didn’t work. My dad trained us  from the time we could walk, that when the alert noise comes on,  you turn up the radio, and turn off your mouth. If you have questions, you ask them AFTER the alert is over.  I’m pretty sure if my dad was on the bus yesterday he would have  had a stroke.  When I turned the corner, after dropping the last kid, the sky looked like a hot mess was coming.  We were in a severe thunderstorm warning. I booked it home (at a totally reasonable and safe speed).  I pulled in at the same time as the wind kicked up.  Walked over to unplug the pool right at the sky opened up.  Happy to be home was an understatement. Overbrook had 80 mile per hour winds.   We didn’t get that out here thank goodness.  

The storms blew over before I had to go to the township meeting, thankfully.  On the way home, I saw a perfect sunset.  Always a reminder to me that the storms always settle eventually.   

Saige had her field day today.  She had a really good time!   Harper’s class helped to run things. They were both pretty tired this evening, but we still had to run to ball practice.  As we were there, I realized it was getting rather late and we hadn’t had dinner, so I ordered pizza.  The kids were happy.  We also talked to Jim a little bit.  He has been in Indiana this week visiting some family. We manage just fine when he is gone, but we manage better when he is home.  I’m glad he got to go.  I am even more glad he will be back tomorrow.  

Mallory bought me an orchid.  I love plants.  I am also terrible at plant management.   I have kept 3 plants alive at my office for a long time now.  I’ve never had an orchid before.  The instructions of “give this 3 ice cubes once a week” seem the opposite of what you are supposed to do to a plant, but I’m gonna give it a whirl.  If I kill it, I will be really sad!  Madison gave me petunias.  This is way more my speed.  I think they were both going for a “mom is hosting a graduation party for Preston who is going to KSU” theme.   

Jim’s sister, mom and brother at a covered bridge in Indiana.  Not sure if they were reenacting the Bridges of Madison county or what.  :)

And lastly in this long, mess of random stuff, Preston has his last day of high school tomorrow.  Here he is on his first day of kindergarten, which I swear was about 15 minutes ago.   The future is yours buddy- go grab it!  I will never be completely ready to push him out of the nest, but I also can’t wait to watch him fly!   He is an amazing kid. He is smart, driven, a hard worker and has a good sense of decency in a world where that doesn’t exist a lot.  Jim and I are so proud of this one.  Love you Preston.  My heart is full.   


No comments:

Post a Comment