Saturday, May 6, 2023

Year end (and last) concert












Last night was the all bands year end concert.  They started with Saige’s 5th grade band and worked their way through all the grades to finish with the high school band.  The band boosters served dinner, we had all the kids in one place and it was very enjoyable.  The best part is a seeing how they start out vrs how they finish.  Such a good display of talent and learning.  

Saige, Harper and Preston are all in band.  We were there for a long time, but I thought it was a fun night. Grandpa may or may not agree with me!   Haha!  (Too long for his patience level).  

One thing that the band director likes to do at the year end concert is honor the seniors.  They had a slide show (admittedly it may have been too long), and then Quilling likes to give each senior a gag gift and tell a story about something dumb/irresponsible/crazy/weird that they have done.  Since he has these kids for 8 years, he gets plenty of stories!  There were 27 seniors in this year’s band, so this took quite a while!   It was fun though and I like hearing the stories.  
This has been sort of a hard school year.  We have had some issues with Saige and a boy harassing her at school.  It has taken a little bit out of her enjoyment of going to school.  This week, we finally got a little bit of what feels like progress.  Sometimes it has felt like everything at the school is bad.  Then I see the band.  I watch them perform, see the progress,  and see the love the kids have for their band teachers and how hard they are willing to work. It restores my faith in the district a little bit.  
The teachers -Lance Quilling and McKenzie Rice are awesome.  They have a  love for band that makes their energy almost impossible to not be impressed by.  They bond with the kids and treat them like they are their own.  I will always and forever be grateful that my kids have had such amazing teachers and opportunities under their directing.  I got a little choked up about Preston being done. 
About 20 years ago, Jim and I took the older 4 kids to South Dakota on vacation.  While we were there, I very clearly remember I told Jim I wanted another baby.  Jim, if I recall choked on his sandwich.  It wasn’t that he was opposed exactly, but we had 4 kids and the youngest was about to start kindergarten.  He thought I had slipped a cog.  My plan all along had always been to have a big family, but somehow after having 4 kids in less than 4 years time, I needed a little break!   Jim, being Jim always has to evaluate things.  He spent a little time thinking on it. And then, Jim being Jim and hating to tell me no, said he was ok with adding a tag along.  I have never been happier to get my way!   Preston is such a blessing.  My only regret is that time went by so fast! He is a smart kid, an honest kid and a hard working kid. I know he is ready, but I’m afraid I never will be!  I’m very proud of him, and all these lasts are just bittersweet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment