Thursday, January 6, 2022

Snow day!





Last night, the weather changed and it was frigid and snowing.  My bus boss texted to ask that we plug the buses in because we were definitely going to school today.  I complied, and had to go to the barn to get an extension cord.  While I was out there, I saw sticker paws (the one outside cat that we have that is tame). I decided she should come inside for the night.  I chased her around for a long time, and finally caught her. I got the bus plugged in, told myself I was an idiot for not dressing warmer, and went inside to wait for the boys.  About 3 minutes later, Saige let the dogs out, and the stupid outdoor cat bolted out the door.   She really doesn’t like being inside. At that point, I told Jim that I felt like the roads were ok, but that the wind chill was going to be dangerous.  This morning, I woke up to a message that my far away stop wasn’t going to ride.  That saves me 20 minutes and a terrible drive down a treacherous road.   I decided that even though I didn’t have to leave as early, I was going to start the bus early so it would be warm.   Madison got here to drop off Evelyn just as the text came in saying no school.  We were all a little miffed that they didn’t call it sooner.  Calling it at 5:50 am when the cooks go in at 6, and the buses start picking up kids at 6:30 is a little late.   I’m not really complaining though.  Madison loaded Evelyn back up and went home.  That girl was complaining.  She didn’t get her time to play with her aunties.  I went in to my office and am excited to say that I got all my year end reports finished. Finally!   
The kids were happy to have a day off.  They said this week of go a day, have a day off is something they could live with!  I will never turn down a day off, especially if the roads are questionable. More was involved for me today though.  I had agreed to driving Quincy’s wrestling team today.   Last night, she came home and told me she didn’t have any matches. I love wrestling, but I really didn’t want to drive an hour to watch other kids.   Cancelled school meant cancelled dual.  No driving for me.  It was nice to have an afternoon with the kids.  We made good food, caught up some laundry, and cleaned the house.  I was telling the kids that when I was at KSU my mom used to send me packages in the mail.  They always had cool socks or random things she found when out shopping somewhere.  I loved getting the packages and it was always a pick me up.   Grace’s mom didn’t send packages with random stuff in them, Grace’s mom sent baked goods.  At Valentine’s Day, she sent cinnamon rolls made with red hots.  We decided to try our hand at recreating them.  Ours were pretty good, but if my memory is right, they are not as good as hers were (or maybe we were just really deprived of homemade goodies?).   It was probably silly to think I could compare with Grace’s  mom anyway. She is a fantastic cook.  When Grace got married, she cooked all the food for the wedding dinner.  Jim was eating, turned to me and said “if I’m ever on death row, this will be what I want for my last meal!”  Uhhhh  alrighty then.  
Tomorrow I guess we go back and try again on back to reality!  

No comments:

Post a Comment