Saturday, August 19, 2023

EMAW Preston!













 
We had a small family party for Preston last night.  We wanted everyone to be able to wish him well before he moved to Manhattan today, but also - I needed distractions.  I was so excited that Colin was able to come home for the night!  I have been dreading this weekend for weeks.  I know I have talked about it multiple times on here, and to anyone who wanted to talk about it.  I already know the heart ache that comes from dropping  your kid off at their first step toward adulthood.  Preston is ready.  Mom is not.  My heart will always long for the 4 year old version of Preston who gave the best hugs, and accidentally told on his brothers.   My brain knows that I will adapt and will love the adult version of my son as well.   Change is hard, but not always bad.  

He wiped this off.  Apparently he didn’t think it would help him find Ms. Right.  

I cannot count how many times I have heard “me, Chayt, John and Liv are going….” So it was fitting that Chayt and John accompanied us to the unloading.   It was also awesome - one trip.  No lifting for me.  And it was record breaking high today in Manhattan, so I am thankful we didn’t have to make hundreds of trips to the car and back.  Unfortunately, Liv was busy at KU marching band camp and couldn’t get away.  

We managed to get him unloaded, met his roommate and then took the boys out for dinner.  His roommate seems really nice, and although the room is tiny, Preston didn’t take too much stuff so he will be fine.  


After dinner, I forced an excursion to Walmart because someone did not have any hangers.  I was scrambling to find one more thing to help with, one more place to run.  Jim pointed out that the bandaid rip off was coming no matter how many fake errands I came up with.  We had a tear filled goodbye (for me anyway) in the Walmart parking lot.   

I seriously couldn’t be prouder of Preston. He’s going to do great things. We all love KSU, and we are happy to have a new reason to hang out in Manhattan. Love you Preston!  Have a great year!   

No comments:

Post a Comment