Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Just your basic everyday randomness







Fair ending usually means that we are on the countdown to school starting.  Except this year, I know I have to send Quincy off to her senior year, and Preston is moving out, and….the thought of those things kind of makes me feel a little sad, so I’m pushing them to the back of my brain and focusing on other things.   Stuff like the molly had babies.  I of course, netted them all last week.  Then gave up on them actually being pregnant and let them go.  Yesterday, I see fry in the tank with the adults.   This is no bueno.  I fished out what I could find.  I managed to save 5.  I have had my eyes peeled, done extra feedings to attempt to draw babies out of hiding, and spent a good chunk of time watching to see if I could tell which Molly it was. I’m more confused than ever, have no idea which fish the babies belong to, how far along the other one may be (because she too looks like the Goodyear blimp), and noticed that the guppy also seems like she could have babies at any time.  I know it’s hard to see but the babies are so tiny and cute!   I hope the 5 I saved make it to adulthood!   Some day this week, Jim and I are going to need to go grocery shopping.  I’m going to stop off and buy a couple more baby nets!  I may end up with more fish than I need, but that seems like a good problem to have!   Plus, did I mention Preston is moving?  I need projects.  (Please don’t tell Jim - poor guy will be terrified).   

Speaking of projects, we are keeping 3 goats.  Remember Mr. Mackey and his 3-4 week stay in the box in our living room?  Well, we cannot bring ourselves to sell him!  We are keeping him as a companion for Coco.  Here he is on the left.  He’s all grown up, but sweet as ever!   We all love him. We are also keeping two does - Kendra and Babe.  They are easy keepers and super good girls.  We also have a spare wether that I picked up at the auction.  He is going to be going back through the auction at the end of the month. He is not sweet, is not a good boy, and is constantly causing me fence fixing issues.  Which is normal goat behavior, but if you’re going to break free, I want to be able to call you, and you come back to the pen.  This one doesn’t check that box.  

My morning walking time with Grace is also coming to an end.   I’m so happy that we made time to do this again this summer.  Grace is that friend for me who is always the voice of reason. When I’m drowning in craziness, she reminds me to come up for air.  My time at KSU was not what I expected it to be.  I did not go there and get a degree.  I did not find my life’s passion and spend the rest of my life working at it.  But I didn't waste my time there either.  I found my one true love - married him, and built this amazing life with him.  And I met Grace.  She is one of the best people I have ever known.  She would literally drop anything to help me.  She’s the one who shows up and helps me “clean” (hides stuff in my closets) and laughs about doing it!  She’s the one who comes down to help me because I overcommitted myself to making food for 3-400 people and have no idea how to pull it off.  She’s the one who unashamedly takes over my kitchen when a kid graduates and I’m running crazy and need help, or the one who saves me hundreds on altering a wedding dress 2 weeks before the wedding because who thought about trying the dress on? (Not me apparently).  I will be forever thankful for her friendship.  (Love you Grace!).  

And because I haven’t been emotional enough this week, this comes popping up on my fb memories.  How has it been 5 years since Cameron’s last fair?  And what a weird 5 years.  Who could have known that we would have a pandemic that changed everything about his college experience?  Who could have predicted the weirdness of the last 5 years?  Certainly not me.  But from his time at KSU we got to watch him do absolutely amazing things -  and he graduated despite the challenges!  He also found Lauren who we absolutely love.  
Tuesday random is the best random.  Now I must finish getting ready because my amazing evening includes a township board meeting and a stop off for frozen pizza for a late dinner with my girls.  Once in a while, frozen pizza is good for the soul.   

No comments:

Post a Comment