Sunday, August 27, 2023

Weekend fun

















When we started this weekend out, we had only moderate plans.    We knew Preston was coming home to visit his friend John before he ships out with the Marines on Monday.  We knew I had a Saturday shift at the liquor store.  And I was planning to visit Colin and Spencer.  
We did not really plan Friday evening watching the girls while Madison and Andrew ran to Topeka.  We did not really plan for Andrew and Preston to spend most of their day Saturday working on Quincy’s car.  We did not plan for a spontaneous fishing trip.  Weekends are not planned, they are made, right?   

We enjoyed our evening with the girls.  Evelyn was overjoyed when Preston walked through the front door.  She lunged at him, wrapped her arms around his neck, and said Uncle PP!!! You came back!   It was the sweetest. 

Andrew was on a mission to catch some crappie.  I was told her caught a couple, but Jim was most excited about catching his first ever gar!  He came home all bloody - I asked if it was fish blood or his blood.  It was his.  Apparently gar use their teeth and hate it when you take the hooks out!   My husband has a list of fish he hasn’t caught, I think he was elated at checking another one off the list!   

I mentioned how hot it was last week.  When the girls and I went out to do morning chores on Saturday, we were thrilled to find it was almost cold!   We ended up cleaning some stuff, hanging out with the critters, letting the pony and goats out to graze the yard, and working on a few things around the yard.  It was nice to be outside without sweating your eyeballs out!   

Coco has been on a diet this summer.  He has slimmed down considerably.   The farrier was very pleased.  He is now allowed a couple hours of grazing time a few days a week.  He was so happy about it!   

We took the wild goat to the auction.  That leaves us with 3.  The two white ones are does we will breed next year.  Of course, the brown one is Mr. Mackey. These 3 were all bottle babies, and all 3 don’t know they are goats.  They come like dogs when you call them, follow you anywhere, and are sweet little babies.  I’m happy they are staying here!  

This is Chlamydia.   She was found dumped at the same time as Marge.  I truly believe they are litter mates.  Clem is a good cat, but is extremely loud.  She loves to sit on top of the feed shed and yowl.  


I noticed tons of beautiful blooms on the pumpkins and watermelon.  Still keeping my fingers crossed there is enough time to grow some watermelon we can eat!   The plant has a few tennis ball size melons!  

Andrew and Preston attempted to fix Quincy’s car this weekend.  We believe the transmission is going out. They tried hard, but we will be needing to make some painful decisions in the next week or so I am afraid.  
While they were working on the car, poppy and Evelyn got quite a lot of mowing finished.  Evie was so happy about getting to drive the mower!  


I enjoyed hanging out with little miss loves to eat. I was sad when it was time to hand the baby over and go hang out in liquor world.  I have a love/hate with this job.  I hate leaving home and giving up weekend time.   I do however, enjoy working there.  I always see lots of people I haven’t seen for a long time.  I like visiting with the customers.  I enjoy faking advice about what wines to pair with foods (I hate wine and have no idea what I’m talking about).  I admit to recommending the wines that I think have the funniest names.  Sweet bitch?  Yea!  You want that one.  Freak show?  Absolutely amazing with steaks.  Criminal intent?  Oh yes- that one is great with Italian  food.  It’s a fun little side gig.  

Today, Preston headed back to Manhattan. He had a couple of homework assignments he wanted to get done and he didn’t pack enough clothing!  Mallory and I made a quick trip to visit Colin and Spencer.  I hadn’t had a chance to see the work they have been doing on their house!  It looks so good!   Spencer also asked Mallory to be a bride’s maid in the wedding!  There is still not a date set though.  Colin took us to look for shoes for another wedding that Mallory is in. We weren’t successful at finding the shoes, but we did get to ride in the “fun car!”   Colin is the only person I know who changes his tires so he can run some errands!

Mallory also got to take a spin on the tandem. Bike.  I’m not sure she enjoyed it though.  
I am sad that this fun weekend went slamming by.  I am sad I didn’t get to do all of the errands, chores, and projects I had in my list, but I’m super happy that I had all sorts of time with some of the kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment