Thursday, August 4, 2022

A little hot critter showing



















Today was the rabbit show and the poultry show.  Saige was the reserve champion junior rabbit showman and Harper was the reserve champion intermediate showman.   Their rabbits both got blue ribbons, although we also got a warning from the rabbit judge that this is a very difficult breed to raise since the markings are such a big part of their scoring.  Ours are not bad quality, but neither one of them is correctly marked for winning a big show.  I have known the rabbit judge for most of my life, and she said “you should know better - what were you thinking?”   I laughed, winked at her and said “I know what you’re getting at, but when have you ever seen a cuter little bunny?”   We agreed to disagree.  Honesty though, I have raised hundreds, if not thousands of rabbits.  First as a 4-Her, then helping The older kids.  There are breeds that are easier, but these 2 little harlequin rabbits are the sweetest little rabbits.   The girls are enjoying them.  No harm in it.  We are not thinking about it from starting a high value breed specific rabbitry for shows.  Just as an enjoyable project that the girls can have fun with.  No harm.  If they decide they want to breed show rabbits, I would switch my thinking.   Anyway, back in topic.  I was very proud of Harper and Saige for trying something new.  And for listening when the judge talked to them. And for trying to implement what she was saying as they went through the rest of the show.   It was a successful day!  

Evelyn, Harper, Saige and Quincy all did poultry showmanship.  They all received blue ribbons.  Their Rhode Island Reds got blue ribbons.  Their black Austrolops got reds (for having some white feathers).  Evelyn made us all laugh By saying her chicken was named “ballsack!”   
Pretty sure we all sweated off 12 gallons of water weight today. It was so hot!   I am thankful for my mom and Mallory helping Evelyn since I was helping judges.  I’m also thankful that Mallory took Evie home with her, so she was out of the heat.   
It was a good day!  Need I say, I am happy it is finished?   
I also grabbed a couple of photos with Saige  and her photography project.  The photos she took are the turkey and the one of Evie.  Saige also got grand champion miscellaneous display on her poster about Carlos.   

No comments:

Post a Comment